Shortening Adjustbles

zep

I'm looking to get some Spax or GAZ shocks sent over from the UK for the Gem. But I know that the rears will need to be shortened. Can anyone tell me if this is going to be an issue getting this done in NZ? Can it be done?

If it's all good, know anywhere in Auckland where I can get this done?

Chuuur

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go and see Chris at the shock shop on Great North road in Grey lynn.

he will more than likely be able to get what your after and if not he can definitely shorten them for you.

some shocks (like my Koni's) require being fully compressed to adjust them, not posable once they have been shortened.

sheepers.

he will more than likely be able to get what your after and if not he can definitely shorten them for you.

some shocks (like my Koni's) require being fully compressed to adjust them, not posable once they have been shortened.

sheepers.

Pretty sure only the older koni's are like that. Mine are the same but were made in 2000 or so. Newer ones should be know adjustable.

Why do you need to shorten them Zep? Would it be a better idea to change your mounting point?

surely you can find some in the right length if you going to the trouble of importing some?

alot of adjustables will be adjusted through the center of the shaft so it you shorten them then you'll have these massive shaft sticking through your boot because you wont be able to cut them off cause thats where the adjuster is... but sounds like these might have turn knob on side of body?

i think in my old gemini i had the front shocks in the rear and hilux shocks in the front, seemed like a nice combo to me

sheepers.

Pretty sure only the older koni's are like that. Mine are the same but were made in 2000 or so. Newer ones should be know adjustable.

ive had mine for about 7 years now, dont know about the newer koni's but mine are definitely full compress for adjustment.

would be heaps better if i had some that adjust on the body. i have to shorten my rear shocks and once its done, bye bye adjustment.

^ there are still new yellows that adjust that way

Its only reds that adjust by compressing isnt it? Thought all yellows had the external adjuster at the top. With mine, I needed them to droop 20mm less than they do, so they disassemble them (breaking the adjuster shaft) and put in a droop limiter and reassemble with a new adjuster shaft, possibly an option?

Those crazy Kadett C fellows will have something factory that works. In the extremely unlikely case that they don't, perhaps you could look elsewhere and get something that works.

I know thats not what you are asking but costs to fabricate/alter things always blow out and theres always the chance you could lose adjustabilty even if we and the engineer says you won't.

Those crazy Kadett C fellows will have something factory that works. In the extremely unlikely case that they don't, perhaps you could look elsewhere and get something that works.

I know thats not what you are asking but costs to fabricate/alter things always blow out and theres always the chance you could lose adjustabilty even if we and the engineer says you won't.

yOU'RE quite right there. I just need to find out what they use on those low low low kadetts. All the decent ones are on German sites so finding out isn't always so easy!

@ Zep , I happen to have a friend in germany, he's sorted shipment of my progressives & koni's, also did some translating for me,

but I purchased mine off ebay.de , and used babelfish to translate - its actually quite easy to read german once you get the hang of it, ie shock = dampfer (spelt in german with some hifens)