TGB 7AGTE AW11

thegreatestben

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is lols to drive in the wet.

Clutch has been feeling a bit funny so I had an squiz and the back of the master cylinder appeared to be showing signs of very slight leaking.

Gave repco a buzz and I could either get a rebuild kit for $8 or a whole new master cylinder for $20.

Bet you can't guess which I chose :D

Pic for visual stimulation

mr2blank.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update.

Been driving the shit out of this, so unrelaxing to drive.

Likes to die at intersections, only idles if you ease the revs down by engine braking.

Also turbo is free boosting at the moment, figured out why I was getting a bit bang and a cloud of black smoke when I gave it some welly. 21psi haha.

Rear brakes aren't working too well on the rear according the the inside of the right rear disk being rusty like it hasn't been used.

Bought new pads and gonna machine rotors.

Tinted the rear 1/4 windows and rear screen in 15%, looks good I think.

January/feb should see a few new goodies being bought/installed.

Upgrading to Link G3 and mitsi ( :oops: ) wasted spark.

Then the mad tune back at speedtech who have dropped their prices now that they have competition in town :D

Did pads and greased caliper slides.

Also machined rotors, still over min thickness.

Here are some pics of rear upgrades

1be6318d.jpg

Rotor + required spacer

8289168a.jpg

Bare hub

0cfe3a6d.jpg

Hub+spacer

53ae6021.jpg

Voila

caa2b577.jpg

Just fits

d89d2aac.jpg

So once I did that I saw that the left handbrake cable is toast pretty much, low priority though.

Also went looking for mysterious rattle, didn't find it. Slightly concerned, was gonna film it and post a vid but figured I'd just worry myself with internet diagnosis' galore.

Burnt my knuckles, also discovered water to air pump wasn't running, the wire I used for switched voltage to the relay no longer has 12v+ with the key at ON. Will figure that one out when it's not so hot outside.

Tried changing where the wastegate actuator gets its vacuum/boost from and removed boost controller altogether.

Still winding up mad boost so thinking I need to replace the actuator/switch to external.

Fuckin cars...

Nope seems about right, remember it was only doing it on one side so I'm quite certain it was either dry slide (the removable bolt was dry) or my combination of unmachined 2nd hand rotors and 2nd hand pads. Also the spacer's thickness is what brings the rotor out to meet the caliper in the correct location.

Still really want to fix the rattle/ticking/whatever is making the noise but I can't locate it!

• 2 months later...

Did some aesthetic improvements today

The stock throttle mechanism is pretty ugly in an AW11, I was shown a bracket that could be made up to change it.

Looks like this originally:

Original.jpg

and this is the one some guy from the internet makes:

Prototype%2002.jpg

But I don't think that would've worked with my intercooler being where it is, and I heard from the internet that they fuck out and his linkage replacement method is shit/unsafe.

So I made this:

30012010279.jpg

30012010282.jpg

Stole the throttle linkage off've the corolla (after I had cut up the original mr2 one haha) had to chop and weld that a bit to get it to fit and not foul on stuff.

Works mint and makes engine bay look much nicer I think.

Needs a paint and the edges tidying up but I was in a hurry to finish, didnt want to be late for ac/dc

Would imagine tight doughnuts tho

Mates bro had one with a turbd 4age in it (i think, was like 8 years ago), did F**KIN mental skids but couldnt do them from very long as g-force spun oil to the wrong end of the sump from the pickup??

Also always had a soft spot for these cars (largely due to one mentioned above), cool and interesting thread man cant wait for updates

• 3 weeks later...