TGB 7AGTE AW11

thegreatestben

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought studs, nuts and bolts to put the exhaust manifold on.

Previously only had bolts with no washers or anything. Replacing with new bolts, chased threads in the manifold with a tap to ensure the installation went smoothly.

Studs installed into the turbo flange with loctite, don't think those suckers are coming out in a hurry.

Chucked turbo back on manifold, put two studs into the head. Made it alot easier to test fit the manifold.

Had to rotate the housing around slightly to clear the engine mount but I think this is gonna work.

Will need to sus the actuator mount though.

before:

IMG_0975.jpg

After:

Image033-1.jpg

And my spacers for the brake rotors are done. wheels are gonna stick out 6mm more now hooray.

Image035-1.jpg

Sorry I dont' think it's worth making another set.

We're only using small equipment which makes the job take alot longer.

Each piece to cut off takes an hour. If I could do it myself I'd sort some, but my Dad did all the machining.

disks should be hub-centric shouldnt they?

Not sure if this what you mean but,

The spacers are to push the disk out to suit the new caliper, the disks still locate on the hub and the spacers are also 54mm internal diameter to suit the hub. The rotor face is now sitting flush with the hubs lip, so the wheels aren't hub centric, but they weren't to begin with, and the car isn't exactly a fatter so I'm not anticipating any issues there.

Hard.

When reading I'm sure the aussie guy said that there is 1 mm difference between the rotor and the hub.

I however could not find the mm he spoke of, I even had my dad check.

We even made a 54mm tool to locate both the spacer and the disk together while we punched the marks for the 4x100 stud pattern. Having fitter/turner/engineer dad is ftw.

Have some more pics even

CIMG0634Medium.jpg

CIMG0629Medium.jpg

6mm thickness = win

th_CIMG0631.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The sun came out today so I did some more bits and pieces.

I got my intercooler back, welded up for a very sweet price.

Big thanks to Brian at Howat Engineering.

CIMG0672Medium.jpg

CIMG0673Medium.jpg

So I put the sucker in and did up both mounts and the outlet to the throttle body, mounts are so sweet, rubber mounted so it's got flex, but solid enough for me to lean on 8)

So next job on the list was the inlet side of the intercooler piping, made myself a new flange to suit the turbo.

Mad skillz.

CIMG0674Medium.jpg

Went hard out, once again the aim here was to bring quality spec up.

Old flange is lols/omg

CIMG0675Medium.jpg

CIMG0676Medium.jpg

New flange is Lush:

CIMG0677Medium.jpg

Voila

CIMG0678Medium.jpg

Was a bit of a mission getting around all the lines and cables, everything from the cabin/front of the car comes up the centre of the engine bay right where the turbo flange is.

More brake upgrades!

Hilux 1" master cylinder bolted on + dot 5.1 fluid (just incase)

CIMG0681Medium.jpg

Old Master cylinder:

CIMG0682Medium.jpg

Compare

CIMG0684Medium.jpg

New:

CIMG0685Medium.jpg

Trimmed cover to fit + see whats going on in there:

CIMG0686Medium.jpg

Easy peasy and was only $50 from work new.

Lines just needed a bit of massaging to fit, sensor wiring plugs in.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I put them in.

The front mounts bolt up, the rears you need to remove the mounts (drill two spot welds and a pin out on each side) from the aw11 seats then do the same on the sw20 ones, bolt the front of the seats in and slide them forward, you can then bolt the rear mount tabs in and mark where they need to be welded in.

The drivers side one slides towards the centre console ever so slightly but if your brother is anything like you height wise it doesnt matter cos they'll always be slid right back.

RE: Brake Calipers

Whats the difference between the 22v calipers and the non-22v??

Brother wants to use SW20 calipers on the front of his KE, he is using slotted, vented, drilled U13 bluebird rotors.

Sorry I'm confused, the 22v calipers are rear calipers? He wants to use them on the front?

Or is he looking at using sw20 front calipers?

Couldn't tell you the difference in front ones but in the rear the 22v's run a thicker disk.

Tell him to have a look on www.toymods.net, the blokes in aus have got pretty much every known bolt on brake upgrade sorted and well presented how to's on there.

How do you think I found out about my upgrade ;)

Also, cbf hardslamming.

Will be choice enough if I get the numbers I'm after :)