Simon's 1983 ST140 Corona coupe.

Simon

who this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 738974.htm

Someone else on the build

No idea but could be Hugos old car.

Shit that's a lot of bog!

Side mirrors look gross on these.

I'm thinking about putting my 3sgte in coupe B for summer track skids and just run my coilovers and put some 4x4 springs in rear but unsure if my T50 will hold it.

Is basically a complete bolt up.

Still deciding.

Bet this guy would know: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30240

BTW - hurry up and 3SGTE this. It would be done in 1 working bee weekend!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha oops.

I think it might be safe to say that it will turn into a full time track car. A car my mr2 was supposed to be but never could be because of wofs / MR2s are shit really.

Looking like fire wall chop or hole with cover (for putting dizzy in and not smashing it) so there is one problem solved.

Car probably won't be a hard core track car to begin with as I really don't want to damage that gearbox. Could be keen to trade for W series.

Cam, do you know how much power a good T50 can take? These older 3s's are not huge power monsters really, I think the trouble would be idiotic dumping of clutches?

That's a hard question to answer. In a drift car owned by someone who wouldn't know what good oil was if it smacked them in the face - probably about 10 hp. In a track car that gets used but not abused I would say easily 200 engine horseys.

Infact. This dyno sheet is from a car with a T50. It has a TRD gearset but it proves my point. 150kW at the wheels :)

cci0721201000000.jpg

Most 3sgte's don't have the turbo side engine mount as well, we had to tie one into the AC mounts. Corona sits the 3s quite far forward but the thermo housing will want to be in the firewall? Cant remember why the turbo side didn't work on our one as it was ages ago but we had to go custom and high mount it. Intake needs a cut and custom plenum chucked on, head will fill up with oil on the track without mods. Out of all the Toyota lego 3stge's into rwd are the dumbest, I mean its all do-able, dunno if its worth it

Oh fully I don't know if it's worth it either.

If it's too hard I will abandon so fast. I already have one with a bare engine bay so will test fit there and if it doesn't work I'll abandon.

The motor had to come out to get sold anyway so may as well put in the hole to see first. Not really fussed either way.

I would more likely be using the car for manji days and gymkahna / back track sorta stuff. The brakes will be all standard haha.

Running shitty rear tyres etc.

It's all just ideas yet. will see how it goes. Else there will be an AW11 3SGTE conversion up for sale.

Nah, it's not that hard.

Just took manifold and turbo off to make it a bit easier getting in an engine bay.

If I get this other coupe up north I would just lean the motor over like it is in the MR2 because it would need an adapter plate to the box. Then would have oil and smashing box and diff issues all solved, more brakes etc. Will wire buzzer to oil pressure so if it howls I know to stop. Could potentially be a not bad track skidder.

Still have to do some measuring and playing yet before I invest any decent time into it.

Ok thanks for ideas.

Far out couple people have tried and given up. Not a good look.

Won't give up just yet.

The motor is a good condition 2nd gen. I'm sure it will go just fine in factory form. It did in the MR2 it came out of anyway.

Also I measured the motors quickly, the 3s is shorter from crank to rocker cover than the 1s and same size from sump to airfilter / manifold (700mm). They are both about the same width as the 1s has a mad PS pump and alt hanging way off side but I want to run that on the 35 so not sure. Will just have to see. Have a manual rack I can put in it.

nothing wrong with a gen1/2 3sgte at all!

throw a ct20b on there and you have a real weapon. Plus with lower compression you can run a bit more boost than gen3.

You only have to look at Alsw20 on TS (my old flatmate).. I watched him run a 12.6 with full weight gen1 SW20 that only had ct20b, downpipe, boost controller and panel filter done. Thats 4.6 seconds 0-100 in a 1250kg car with relatively minor bolt on's.

nothing wrong with a gen1/2 3sgte at all!

throw a ct20b on there and you have a real weapon. Plus with lower compression you can run a bit more boost than gen3.

You only have to look at Alsw20 on TS (my old flatmate).. I watched him run a 12.6 with full weight gen1 SW20 that only had ct20b, downpipe, boost controller and panel filter done. Thats 4.6 seconds 0-100 in a 1250kg car with relatively minor bolt on's.

You neglect to mention that the mid engined aspect of MR2's skews the figures somewhat due to superior launch over your average RWD street car.