Richy's 2001 Honda Torneo Euro R (CL1)

Snoozin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So I sold the Taiwanese suspension and bought this. Owes me a smidge under $200.

As it arrived to me.

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02858.jpg

With several hours invested, I worked a little bit of my magic and ended up with.....

DSC02600.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

DSC02603.jpg

As the last photo illustrates, they're a Tein Mono Flex setup - relatively high end gear (approx $4k brand new) monotube design, all the usual height and damper adjust. I needed to buy new 'click adjuster' setups for each strut top as the originals had gone AWOL at some stage in their life. Also replaced the bumpstops, and chucked some new o-rings in the tops where the adjusters screw in for extra piece of mind.

The difference between the Tein and the D2 is night and day... the D2 actually did provide adequate handling and a compliant ride and to be totally honest my expectations of them were completely exceeded, as there is a hell of a lot of bad press/opinion on the D2 gear. The Tein's though - initial impressions were, well, gobsmacked. They are pretty stiff for lower speed street driving, mine are running an 8kg rear and 10kg front spring combination which is choppy around town, but IMO still completely bearable. The difference however is noticeable when you venture onto a twisty road at speed. The car is more level in corners, responds to steering inputs with more urgency, and the bump and rebound control of these shocks as opposed to the D2 is incredible. Mid corner bumps no longer upset the car, it soaks them up and it just GRIPS. Really hanging out to try this car on semi slicks, and on a track now.

I have also made it lower.

Next update will hopefully be coming in a week or 2. New headers currently lined up, which will be followed by a fresh tune and hopefully some more killerwhatts. :)

• 2 months later...

So, I have sold my old TRR headers (a knock off of Mugens) to well, acquire some currency.

One shot of the old TRR's off the car, before I send them away

DSC03359.jpg

Aaaaaand as a result of said acquisition of currency, I have plonked down a hearty sum for these new pipes. Hytec tri-y style 4-2-1's. Noticeably larger in diameter, and in pipe lengths, these things are proven to make a worthwhile gain on H22A's and all going well I should be able to benefit - we've booked some dyno time in March so with the help of a tune I hope to have this thing humming!

New vs. old!

DSC03357.jpg

Bling!

DSC03379.jpg

DSC03383.jpg

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03367.jpg

Will post tuning/dyno results as soon as it's all done.

• 3 months later...

So.

Fitted up the headers - no real huge noticeable change to the midrange or lower end delivery... top end hits like a sledgehammer now however. A worthy addition I think, with a tune it should help this engine produce some better numbers too... some investigation into the fuel and ignition maps reveals a very conservative tune, especially in regards to the timing. So fingers crossed I'll squeeze some more out of it...

The downer with the headers however is they do hang a little lower, due to the longer runner design and the necessity to essentially remain a 'bolt on' part so the flange on them ends up where the original did. This means my flexi has scraped through after 1500km of driving - replacement item has an improvised skid plate on it which now results in quite spiffy lightshows from the back of the vehicle when hurling it through some of my favourite backroads during the wee hours.

Some shots:

DSC03842.jpg

DSC03825.jpg

DSC03820.jpg

Secondly - the recent onslaught of wintery morning temperatures means my cold start issue has now resurfaced. After some scientific testing, which involved chilling the ECU in the fridge when the car was running, attempting a start then noting the CEL/errors (CEL 15 = ignition output signal) and symptoms were exactly the same as I experience on a chilly morning, then applying heat with a hair dryer (cheers Bex!) to the unit and completing a successful startup, I have concluded the ECU is at fault. Not totally surprising really since the base ECU the car is using is a P08 example from an EG Civic D15B donor vehicle and is 10 years older than the Torneo itself... reason being the Hondata S300 itself is designed to work with the OBD1 type ECU's. This in turn means my car runs an adaptor loom from the OBD1 ECU to the OBD2b vehicle loom - but that's an explanation for another day. So, as a result of this, the ECU is away at Speedfactor being repaired - after some discussion with Evan today it would appear there are some crook components within the ECU. I will be able to elaborate more once I have it back with a full report.

But, in the meantime I finally got around to hosting some pics I took a while ago.

DSC03740.jpg

DSC03769.jpg

DSC03780.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

DSC03802.jpg

DSC03805.jpg

DSC03809.jpg

Yeah the car is tentatively for sale but I'm not hugely bothered if it doesn't sell... next goal is a successful tuning session.

• 3 months later...

So.... I sorted the starting issue finally (in due course) with a new P08 ECU socketed to accept the S300 finding it's way into the car. Grand, I though... I have finally ironed out the problems with this vehicle. Well, it kind of wasn't to be. After a particular spirited drive though the Paekakariki Hill road it developed a nasty vibration under load from through the 90-100km/h area.

Diagnosis - a fucked inner CV. RHS axle was sent away to NZCV down in Christchurch (thanks KK for the recommendation) and it returned swiftly... as well as being a reasonable cost ($175 incl gst and freight) to rebuild the inner CV and check the outer/shaft for balance and wear. Slapped it in, and presto... vibration gone.

Managed 1000 trouble free km's out of it (woooo!) which then brings us to this weekends antics... this next part is simply copy pasted from another forum update.

After a year or so of intending to do so, the wonderful Mr. Lith in conjunction with the fine chaps at MacLennans in Wellington organised some weekend dyno time to FINALLY look at sorting the obviously iffy tune in this car. And what a result.

Base run resulted in 109kw atw... albeit with cutting the run about 900rpm short of where it normally would, but the way the curve was going it was highly unlikely we were going to see more than 110kw anyway. It was known previously the car was running fairly extreme fuel pressure (checked when I had the car in at Speedworks with the starting fault) and a check showed that it had been cranked up to 75psi... with the vac line disconnected it was closer to 100psi :shock: Yeah well... interestingly WOT AFR's were all reasonably spot on with this Mickey Mouse setup... (this dyno has a reputation for being a bit of a heartbreaker FWIW... the numbers posted may not be consistent with most other dynos in NZ but the gains speak volumes).

Starting with the low cam fuel tables, Dan worked through the various values (sorry if I get terminology or things a little wrong, I'm very very green to this type of thing) correcting pretty much EVERYTHING to cope with the new fuel pressure... this was probably the most time consuming part of the day due to getting to grips with how the dyno operated as well as trying to make sense of what appeared to be a very 'lazy' tune entered by the previous person to muck about with the ECU. At this point I must extend a big thanks to Richard and David from MacLennans for their guidance and patience with us.

A few pics to break up the words:

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Dan belting in some numbers and adjusting big bits all at once:

IMG_1543.jpg

So yeah... once the off cam stuff was sorted (including timing, of which the old tune didn't really have much of), everything seemed (to me at least) to fall into place a lot more quickly, I guess once a point was determined when the low cam stopped doing it's thing it was reasonably simple to sort everything from there.

Upon investigating the high cam fuel and ignition tables it fairly soon became apparent that someone had been mucking about who probably would have had about as much idea as me... the fuelling up high was erratic (that's being nice) and the ignition timing actually tapered off dramatically as revs increase. To save rambling on too much, VTEC was set at 4500rpm (as it was thought it would give a nice spot where we could then interpolate the low and high cam curves to find the ideal changeover point) and the runs began. The AFR's on high cam were pretty quickly sorted out... very quickly sorted out in fact and the fuel curve smoothed out to give a nice consistent AFR right through til 7500rpm. I think at this point the car was running around 112kw atw... and then the timing adjustment began. Almost did a happy dance several times as each time a few degrees of timing was added, the curve was moving upward at a rapid rate. 118kw.... 121kw... 125kw... until ultimately the car peaked at 135kw @ 6950rpm once it was clear adding any more timing wasn't going to result in any more power and only really increase the chances of knock. Injector duty peaked at around 87% so the engine is clearly breathing well and making good use of the Skunk2 intake manifold and t/b as well as the new addition headers.

A few more pics

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

Once again I must extend a very warm thanks to the MacLennans guys... the enthusiasm for doing this sort of thing really showed, a passion for work is a rare thing to find so keep it up!

Driving it... wow. The car at this point already felt like a changed beast. Even though the low load points off cam hadn't had a lot of work, it was immediately evident that low down and at lower loads the car drove much much more smoothly. And then VTEC kicked in... the changeover point was left at 4500rpm as the curve showed no sign of a dip at changeover, rather a smooth and steady climb. The resultant seat-of-the-pants impression was of an extremely smooth transition onto the high cam which then transgressed into sledgehammer-like punch once revs approached 5000rpm. Compared to how it was at least... previously the transition felt more like a 'pop' then away it would go into the revs.

Speaking of revs... the way it now pulled right through to limiter in ALL gears was much improved. The car now feels more effortless in doing so, one major improvement I have noted during general open road driving is the ease with which it now accelerates in 5th from 80-90km/h to overtaking speed... as well as now being able to drop to 4th and be on the high cam. Everything is just better, for want of a more suitable term... very very impressed with the transformation.

Later in the evening myself and the other Dan (Edhouse) went out for a road tuning session. Started off with sorting out the fuelling at cruise... the wideband showed it was running way rich (something like 12.9 at cruise) and this was duly sorted. Followed up with some 50km/h, 70km/h stuff, all once again showing wildly varying AFR's all the way through - from high 11's through to 17's in some of the more iffy parts under light load. After about 3/4 of an hour we ended up with a result that, while not totally perfect, is still a smooth driving tune which is leagues ahead of what it was an pretty damn close to a factory feeling car, after experiencing a few CL1's on stock ECU's.

In summary - I'm extremely pleased with the weekends progress, the car is for the first time in my 18 months of ownership finally feeling like what it ought to have felt like, the performance I think now really does belie the fact it's a midsized NA 4 door family sedan.

Entered in a dyno day at STM in early October, so it will be interesting to see what sort of numbers it produces on there compared to the pre-tune run it had there as mentioned in the previous post.

Thanks again to Dan, Dan, Dan, :lol: David and Richard without you guys I wouldn't be sitting here with a silly grin on my face recalling the drive home, as I type this :D :D :D

Charts will be up in due course, I'll flick them through the scanner at work tomorrow.

Pulls through gears like the ITR did now. Effortless in comparison to the old tune. Would tear the head off the ITR and do poos down it's cylinders at the top end too. I'll put some charts up when I get home... But power doesn't really taper off toward rev limit, it more plateaus. Having monstrous intake and exhaust plumbing means down low driveability is not as ideal is it could be, but it's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make now that it's doing what it ought to be in the midrange onwards. If you can't tell, I'm really quite rapt with the whole progress over the weekend.

My honda now goes SUPER bring-a-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-weeeeeeeeeeeeee-baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

etc.

nice work man must be a total weapon now, I hope my racecar is even half as fast :lol:

definitely keen to go for a ride sometime and make awesome dingding weeeeeeeebaaaaaaaaaaa noises

You can come for a burn and make extreme weeeeeeeeeeeebaaaaaaaaaaaaaa noises, for reals.

And because I love pictures so much, here's the dyno plots

First one, the base run at the start of the day:

czl257_base.jpg

The final result, power and torque:

czl257_final.jpg

Overlay of base power vs tuned power curve:

czl257_overlay.jpg

And finally an overlay of base torque curve vs tuned torque curve... this explains why it feels so much more impressive to drive I think:

czl257_torque_overlay.jpg

:)