sandblasting bodyshells

Testament

Whats the deal with this - I've seen one or two people have had it done in project threads

I understand blasting the big panels is a bit of a nono with warpage, but for all the hard to get places would be much easier than wire wheels I imagine. Since I'm going to paint the whole car now it does seem like a good idea.

Also would like to know approximate costs if anyone could tell me.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey testament I know a guy who does soda blasting down in taupo. Hes letting me do the wagon for just the price of soda and the diesel for the plant I will ask his price. He's been running it for awhile the shit goes everywhere so it has to be completely stripped then cleaned afterwards and sealed. Hes a hard out cunt says don't sand blast anything

It seems like a much better idea then dipping, as you can never really get the acid out of the sills and get the paint back in. My brothers 52 prefect was done with walnut shells! Im interested in having the corolla done with sand/glass also, as some rust work has been done b4 I owned it, and im not sure how well it was done, best to get it rite b4 you paint I guess. Not sure how they get all the dust out of the car b4 painting tho?

Theres special spray hoses to get a sealant back in all sills etc when dipping and its neutralised after so it doesn't stay in the sills etc. Id much prefer to dip mine but finding someone to do it is another story. Just don't sand blast any panels, just diffs, wheels etc

Fellas I had both the cortina & van sand blasted man it makes life easier .

Yep your right ya cant do big flat areas as it will stretch the steel but for door shuts engine bays underbodys etc its very mint

Also & mint way to get all your loose rust out only down side is all the bloody sand you have to get out everytime you bang or move the car sand falls out. I still get little bits coming out of the mk1s chassis & its been on the road for over a year now..

As for cost cortina body doors engine bay {didn't do underneath} cost me $480

Bongo did everything outside, inside ,underneath, chassis wheels doors etc

all up $850

Hope this helps!

Soda blasting seems to be a popular option these days. I guess they run the soda plant at less pressure and therefore create let heat and distortion than 'sand'.

An entire car blasted inside and out and underneath is about $2,000 here in Wellington (in sand by a guy I trust not to fuck it)

iv had a few various pieces of body sandblasted and they turned up mint, old boss had his entire impala sand blasted where he works just went slowish and didn't get close on larger panels. he left the roof.

buying your own sand blaster + blasting is only an option if you have huge compressors to accompany it :lol:

hey testament I know a guy who does soda blasting down in taupo. Hes letting me do the wagon for just the price of soda and the diesel for the plant I will ask his price. He's been running it for awhile the shit goes everywhere so it has to be completely stripped then cleaned afterwards and sealed. Hes a hard out cunt says don't sand blast anything

this soda stuff, is it like washing powder or something?

sounds like it could be the go since I would have to find someone local.

I dont really need/want to get abosolutely everything done, can leave the underbody mostly and the big panels can be sanded or whatever later. but all the corners and hard to get bits is what would be good. The car is stripped completely now apart from the front/rear glass (got to get that taken out) and rear suspension+driveshaft. is it ok to leave the suspension in (i.e leave rear and replace front) so its rolling? or really need to take it all out and get it put on a frame with some castors etc.?

Guest zed not zee

we soda blasted a series 1 landrover fire truck,we left the glass, door rubbers etc on the vehicle because some of the seals would brake an tear trying to remove them and this didnt harm them at all.

the down side to this the soda comes out over time through all the panel joins and under the rubbers even after it has been painted, but its alot less work

Wire wheel will take forever. Buy paint stripper and that glad wrap stuff they wrap palets in. It cost me $130 bucks for enough stripper to do the whole car.

Put the stripper on the painted surface then overlay the wrap, this stops the stripper drying out and makes the paint easier to get off. Then just scrape and sponge off. Worked sweet, I reckon you could do the whole car in a day or two. Thats what I did for my car then took it to the painters on a trailer.

Is this for the Delta or 131?

edit by whole car I mean everywhere but the underside.