sandblasting bodyshells

Testament

only about half of it has paint on it at this stage anyways. just all the shit to get at places is what im thinking about - around the boot, all the coners etc in the interior. the big areas im not so concerned about. is paint stripper paint stripper or what? e.g. can I get it at repco/supercheap/bunnings/regular store that we have in taupo.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

blasting still cant get into really hard to get into places, so if you want to go all out then i think dipping is the way to go, but its fully hardcore and you pretty much gotta take the car to a panel beater straight away because of the rusting, and they clean all the metal down and can cover it up properly

i found paint stripper to be pretty awesome really, just hard to use on vertical surfaces as it doesnt hold properly, my panel beater said that they just use big gritty sanders to get the vertical panels to bare

Paint stripper is paint stripper, I got mine from an automotive painting store. Repco sells only smaller buckets, not really enough to do the whole car.

Its pretty easy to use, I did all round the door jams and hatch jams without too much hassel. The stripper melts the paint so easy, I scrapped the bulk of it off with a scraper and used a sponge for the left over bits in tricky spaces.

You will need to get elbow long gloves though to cover your arms, it burns your skin.

Its ok as baremetal for a while as it oxidises up. Before my car got primered me and the panel beater used air tools to polish the metal back up to bare metal. Looked cool a chrome panelled Strada.

edit here is a link to my project thread, it has a few photos of the process of stripping it down.

viewtopic.php?t=13835

blasting still cant get into really hard to get into places, so if you want to go all out then i think dipping is the way to go, but its fully hardcore and you pretty much gotta take the car to a panel beater straight away because of the rusting, and they clean all the metal down and can cover it up properly

na Ive seen dipped doors sitting in a shed for a few years its neutralised after the acid dip they were all good? Anyone know who does it? Ive known a few people to look into getting a car dipped including me but getting no where

i got the pannel van acid dipped.

http://www.mchem.co.nz/strip_magic_about.html

The company has now got a new owner so i dont know what they are like but the previous owner was no good

to do a whole car it would be about $1600

I would not do it again.

Next time im going to sand blast the under body and media or soda blast the body

^ can you tell us your experience because im looking into my options. The parts wagon I just cut up even though very far gone was rusting in some horrifying places that were not accessible. Now I have a hose spray nossle thing I can get rust kill into these places but im thinking dipping then a rust kill is going to be the only way to stop it eating itself from the inside out but Ive heard a mixed bag of opinions on dipping and blasting

walnut shells are from what im told (one of?) the most expensive blasting media available. some things that need blasting can really only be done with walnuts but of what understand, thats really only very soft/thin metals or things where tolerances are concerned.

A car, is more than enough resistant to stand up to the cheaper option of sand IMO. walnuts would be OTT i think, unless, you had a newb sprayer or are too lazy to strip back the central square of the large panels: boot, roof, doors, bonnet etc

^ can you tell us your experience because im looking into my options. The parts wagon I just cut up even though very far gone was rusting in some horrifying places that were not accessible. Now I have a hose spray nossle thing I can get rust kill into these places but im thinking dipping then a rust kill is going to be the only way to stop it eating itself from the inside out but Ive heard a mixed bag of opinions on dipping and blasting

spence

im dam sure theres a guy around terapa area that does aiced/ruct dipping and has massive vats with gantree cranes etc, i remember getting some extractors dipped a few yrs ago and deal with him via work

also

waikato sand blasting ( behind my work can do a car shell for dam cheap

I would never acid dip again.....after 3 years the rust in the seams was unreal!!!! :cry:

It screwed the sills and all the a and b pillars of my ke26 wagon and they rust fast enough on their own lol :lol::lol:

Corey

Did you hit the inside of the sills etc with a protective paint after the dip?? because theres plenty of cars around that have been dipped and are fine.

Cheers flawless boe will look into the dipping place and if i go blasting as said Ive got soda blasting sorted for free

I just wouldn't go down that track IMHO.

I was at a panel beaters today helping him out with some knowledge on the 2 door mark 2 cortina he is doing (hammer and file all the way, just made a new rear guard....glad I'm not paying lol) and he was saying the car had been soda blasted and it was a waste of money due to the fact that it only gets the paint off. It doesn't clean up the rusted areas at all.

I have heard Waikato Sandblasters does a good job to and will be calling them for a quote soon.

I don't have the time to take mine to my cousin.

Corey

the idea is just to take the paint off so you can address the rust by hand

and really if theres rust you should be patching .. so there is no advantage to been that aggressive with the panel

ive seen some of the work that WSB has done and while some is good......some is utter rubbish

everyone has there own view but its hard to get a rippled panel perfect again without using bog and much time

and id rather be paying to have the rust cut out than the rust cut out and all the panels reformed from distrotion

for my perspective I'm imagining your resorting your car not just bogging the rust

Seriously, get some bunnings warehouse general purpose paint stripper.

It is the best shit ever, took my car back to bare metal right before my eyes, and left it perfectly smooth underneath.

And oddly enough, automotive paint stripper that I had used previously made my panels go rusty looking, and smeared all the paint into goo.

Bunnings warehouse paint stripper made my paint almost explode off, and was super easy to clean up, and obviously wasnt water based, or whatever.

It's one of those "Christ I cant believe I wasted so much time up to this point with a wire brush" kind of things :P

Assuming Fiat paint is anything like Toyota paint, that is.