Esprit's '01 Exige Over-winter refresh

Esprit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Traction is nasty. He's currently got a "halo", which is a large metal ring which is screwed into his skull. There's then weight/pulleys trying to pull his head off. This keeps the vertebrae straight and helps it to heal right. This halo will stay on his head for 2-3 months, bracing his neck and keeping it straight and stopping him from damaging his spinal column.

damn man sounds super lame, my mum broke her back, back in the day she drove her brothers mini into a bank, wandered around the vehicle in shock looking at the damage before realising she had broken her back and sitting back down. I always thought that the awesome cars like lotus' would have had protected the driver from such problems. must have been a hell of a crash

• 4 weeks later...

Near as we can tell Dad wasn't sitting centrally in his seat when it happened, his head was rotated like he was looking around or something. If he'd realised he was about to be hit and had sat central in his seat he'd have walked away with not even a scratch, like his passenger.

The gash you can see in the photo below is dad's scalp literally splitting open from the force of his skull (now not attached to the rest of his body) trying to tear out of his head.

DadHospital02.jpg

A very nasty accident indeed.

The good news is that the doctors down in Christchurch and the national spinal unit at Burwood have done a fantastic job and he'll be coming home today. 3 months in a halo/brace ahead now, but he should eventually make a full recovery.

Thankfully, he's mobile in his brace. The halo keeps his head still relative to his torso. He can live a pretty normal life for the next three months other than not being able to do anything too vigorous, work or drive. He is very active so he's going to have to throttle back a bit but I'm sure he will find things to keep himself occupied.

Wow that's hard to look at... I spotted a picture of the Elise on the Turners website and it was extremely second hand. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Also saw the Exige in the latest G-force magazine. Haven't had time to read the article yet, but I assume it is more or less a relay of this thread?

You saw it on Turners? Wow, that was quick, we've not even been told it's written off yet (although undoubtedly will be). It's not economical to repair by a long way and we suspect a bit of chassis damage, which would mean a new chassis needs to be ordered (you can't repair the chassis or suspension pick-ups on them at all).

And yeah, I do a bit of writing for G-Force. I'll be covering the Exige rebuild in every issue and afterwards as I use it. It's just a ragular column on what the car's like to live with etc. I'll be writing other stuff for them too :)