Truenotch's BEAMS AE86 racecar discussion

Truenotch

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is a lot of coin eh... ^$1620+ gst for the G4 Storm, more for the xtreme. Which is way too much coin while I'm at uni - unless something amazing happens.

... I could do my setup the same as Roman's Carina, with quads going into an airbox running standard AFM etc - it's an option.

The other option would be to buy cams, disable VVTi and run adj cam pulleys... Seems to have worked quite well on other peoples cars - Brendan Dunckers Blacktop was supposedly 270 engine hp with standard bottom end, good cams and no VVTi.

Oh not saying it wont work! But even with crazy cams there is mid range to be had with intake VVTi dont let anyone tell you any different. But yea pretty hard on a uni budget to build and race a car! sucks the link pricing has gone so stupid, it was $1800 for the top one when they came out

Whole heartedly agree Spence... Glenn (?) in aussie said that using VVTi was worth 25KW and a lot of midrange on his race motor, which is not to be ignored.

Problem now is to try and rebuild this pulley, toyota list it as a non-serviceable part so there's no info on how to put it all back together :shock::D .

there arse to put back togethier

also .. vvti soliniods also feed oil to front cam bearing ... so if you do pull it out... make sure you fit the apropreatly drilled plug .... toda do cam pulliys for vvti removal... though vvti is good stuff and you dont wanna remove it

would loan you my extreme .. but its waiting for my vvti uz to turn up and asimilate it

would loan you my extreme .. but its waiting for my vvti uz to turn up and asimilate it

:o .... That will be fairly cool. Still in the lux???

yeah bro vvti and a couple of turbo's ... its got about 30 grands worth of bits in it now :D

Was just thinking that thing mus be pretty trick by now.

You got some sort of checklist for putting that vvti shit back together?

There are heaps of holes that look like they could be for oil in various places.

Do they go in the gap between the gears?

Stock comp is millions of work... Will upgrade to G4 if I want to run it propperly - which will most likely happen. It would be ideal to have propper VVTi, 4 coils etc all going.

So worth it gettin the G4. Mate of mine Simon, is running a stock standard beams 3s, only mods are itb's, and link g4, and that dynoed 205rwhp. The mid range with the vvti is def worth hanging onto, its pretty impressive when you have it in a light car, hes running his in this...

dsc02576v.jpg

dsc02565.th.jpg

course related costs

That! May even get a loan to live even though I'm at home for cheaps....

I'd love to go to a G4, but as I've already said it's just not possible at this point in time. Gathering funds to but the engine was hard enough, and that was much less than a G4 + Tune.

I haven't had the quote for cams and wheels back yet, but we'll see what comes from it.

Not sure where I'll go with it until all quotes for parts come in and I free up some more funds. 200hp is the target, and if that can be had without doing cams it would be nice.

I've got a few experiments to try out when we get the motor in there as well. Might still be possible to get the VVTi working without going to a g4... but it'll take some fiddling.

no 20v has vvti, they arnt PWM controlled, they are simply a on/off affair

VVTi uses a load vs RPM map to determine cam timing advance/retard. If you use a piggy back unit it must take in load to function optimally. If you just use RPM and tune it for WOT it will be inncorect at partial throttle openings out of corners etc.

I haven't had the quote for cams and wheels back yet, but we'll see what comes from it.

Not sure where I'll go with it until all quotes for parts come in and I free up some more funds. 200hp is the target, and if that can be had without doing cams it would be nice.

I've got a few experiments to try out when we get the motor in there as well. Might still be possible to get the VVTi working without going to a g4... but it'll take some fiddling.

Fair enough, just thinkin if youre gonna have to spend $1000ish? on cams and pulleys, is it worth spending abit more to just get the link? You can def get 200hp out of it stock, Il try and get a pic of Simons dyno sheet for you if you want?

I think its gonna be an awsome machine either way, Im really looking forward to how it turns out...

If you could get a copy of that dyno sheet I'll be really interested.

Just got a the price for a set of cams from CSL... And it's nearly double what I expected so will definitely be going stock cams for now.

no 20v has vvti, they arnt PWM controlled, they are simply a on/off affair

VVTi uses a load vs RPM map to determine cam timing advance/retard. If you use a piggy back unit it must take in load to function optimally. If you just use RPM and tune it for WOT it will be inncorect at partial throttle openings out of corners etc.

I'm thinking about trying out Waynes idea, which was to use the stock ECU to run VVTi and the link as a piggyback for fuel and ignition. It means I'd have to run an AFM and have a spark return signal going back to the computer so it can figure out load/rpm... Not sure if it'll work but it's worth a try.

You only want cams from that ausie guy, I can dig up all my emails from him with his pricing. Same grind as his, they keep VVTi and are epic. Hes done lots of R&D to get where he is. They are around $1600

is that including him modifying the cam wheels ?? if i remember rightly they need to be modded to limit movement and stop the valves getting mashed

on a side note .. just did my highest hp tune today to date .. 283rwkw @ 1 bar