Truenotch

Truenotch's BEAMS AE86 racecar discussion

I've only done one event with it so far, but I'm really happy with the quality. I prefer the ball bearing style over the standard spline type quick release kits that are out there. Mine's got no play at all and is really easy to slot on. You can place the wheel on in any orientation and rotate it until it locks into place. 

It wasn't the cheapest thing in the world, but you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About your painfull sanding experience 

ive found that its always much easier to do it while jamming some music in your headphones.

or find someone like your mate or partner to give you a hand that way you can sharn away and get shit done.

but the end result is most of the time very rewarding and worth all that time you spent doing it.

unless you just want a bill and unrewarding experience because you just paid someone to do it

but Anyway crank onto it and get it done to have some fun with it on the track   :thumbright: 

• Like 2

Haha, cheers man. I’ve never been much good at bogging, so half the fun was learning how to mix and lay it again... The stuff I’m using doesn’t change colour when you add hardener, so I doubled down on hardener the first time and ended up with a streaky mess to deal with. 

Recent applications have been much nicer! Plus the sanding is basically cardio :D . 

Its getting there now - bit of filler primer and seam sealer done.

F302A0F1-9FC9-478A-B887-B40E32C1D2AD.thumb.jpeg.818d1aea396e796fd85a1b39def3159c.jpeg

Now it’s time to start applying filler to the other side and get the rest of the bay cleaned, sanded and primed for paint. 

• Like 8

Jeez haven't seen this thing grace the internet for a while!

Did you make allowance for compression of the bump stops under load?

• Haha 1

Yeah, it’s been a while! Should be a good load of updates coming soon... 

That pic at full compression was with a 12mm plastic spacer in place of the bump stop to simulate full bump stop compression. The bump stops are polyurethane foam and are designed to rise in rate as they compress (36mm extended length). 

Here’s my high tech method of finding full squish: 

51F2F289-3DF1-4AE7-8089-ADD2F5B9D465.jpeg.c17c058274dc0869abdf3f7b7302fc1a.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1