psston broke..

sholdowa

I'm starting to look at getting bits together to build up my pinto, and just looking at the cost of good quality pistons, let alone getting them from the uk is scary. What locally available stuff can go in there as an alternative. I'm happy to pay for machining (especially if I can keep it local/cash! ), and want to increase the capacity as far as poss without going silly money. I'm keeping it na, so want to keep the piston tops approx at the top of the ( 205 ) block - with the longest rods possible.

Is there anywhere I can look this kind of stuff up on the net, or a local guru about???

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yo, Shane at my old work knows quite a bit about these engines, he'd be worth having a chat to. He's been racing one in classics quite successfully for a few years now though hes just lunched the crank. Hes got all the engine machining gear in his shed at home too, so he's cheap labour if he's got the time. M S Coombes Ltd 344 St Asaph St. Tell him Rich sent ya. Edit, or do what gaz said.

good quality pistons,

Also, what do you call good quality? You want forged?

Ive run new ACL pistons in mine both times and never had any probs with them.

First set at 90tho over cost me $200

Second and current set at 60tho cost me $95

A set went on trademe last week for $90, forget what size over.

Id say those pistons if the tune wasnt all up the piss would get you 150hp easy as. Thats a realativly worked street pinto with ported head and 40's or 45's.

What are you aiming to build power wise?

do you know the following:

-current bore size

-maximum possible bore size

-deck height (from crank centreline)

-stroke

-big end journal size

-big end journal width (or standard rod bearing width)

-standard rod length centre to centre

-standard piston compression height

-standard gudgeon pin size

-Combustion chamber volume

also do you know if the factory cranks have any special heat treatment e.g. nitriding?

Yup he seems lil vauge, I asked him cam specs last week and he could'nt tell me.

I do still think that for $700 you cant go wrong even if you ran it as is with 40's or 45's youd make some decent power and torque.

$700 for rebuilt engine with modified internals, a cam and larger valves is a steal IMO.