Converting Bike Engines to run RWD setup

Seedy Al

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only concern for the going backward part with a starter motor is torque for hills etc

Allan

I've only used my reverse twice in the past year. Once to check it worked before going for a WoF, and again during the WoF.

With a track-only B.E.C. you simply do not need a reverse, and with most weekend and occasional use on the road it's not needed either. A little forward planning on where you are going, where you are parking, and the occasional "Fred Flintstone method" backing out of a parking space at Hell's Pizza, it is no problem. The VERY sensitive clutch and lack of ground clearance are a much bigger headache than reverse.

If you were genuinely going to use a B.E.C. as a daily driver then that might be different but this is NZ, buy a cheap runabout as a daily.

And thank you :D to Bullitt for posting up a pic of my car. Saves all the hassle. :wink:

The Westfield XTR2 uses a Haybusa engine. From memory I think they use a separate electric motor for reverse. Not particularly effective but its not like you ever go very far(st) in reverse.

_DSC9376.jpg

Can put you in touch with the owner if you think it'd be useful?

dude do you drive that to hell pizza fucking awesome

you still run fully stock gear sets? there fuckin tiiiineeeeyyy! whgich is why i posted.

The standard gear set with the final drive I'm using is good for ~235 kph which is about all an XTR2 will do with a standard 'busa @ 180ps.

If you upgrade the engine to 220 - 250 hp then there are replacement 5th & 6th ratios to space them out (they are very close in the standard box).

If you add a supercharger or turbocharger then you also need to change the final drive if top-speed is what you're after. To be honest this is not the kind of car you want if top-speed is what you're after. Speed through the corners and bends however. :D:D:D

If your motorbike is not RWD, you're facing the wrong way

But seriously now, why not just buy a motorbike??

I(f I wanted a motor bike I would just buy one.

My only consern for the going backward part with a starter motor is torque for hills etc

Allan

Al - if you are seriously keen to do this I would happily cut up my austin and work with you/pay half of the conversion.... / always wanted to do this.. :o

Speed through the corners and bends however. :D:D:D

Indeed, was lucky enough to be a passenger in a Radical, driven by a Radical racer... all I can say is 'fuuuuuckkkkk'.

In fact it took me about 1/2 an hour after the ride to be able to say anything other than that.... :lol:

Indeed, was lucky enough to be a passenger in a Radical, driven by a Radical racer... all I can say is 'fuuuuuckkkkk'.

In fact it took me about 1/2 an hour after the ride to be able to say anything other than that.... :lol:

Sounds alot like my experience on a hayabusa sidecar at the taupo open day.......faaaaaaaaaaaaaaark

Ran my new slicks for the first time at Taupo yesterday and took a client out for a few laps.

Took it reasonably gently (as he'd sent 3 emails making me promise to not go too fast :wink: ) but he still finished with a big :D:D:D on his face.

In fact I find it much more difficult to go hard with a passenger on board. Very different to going solo. :?

as Vega mentioned Before sorta

What about chain drive..........

Couldnt you then use larger sprockets to change the ration, and also incorporate some sort of direct drive for when in reverse.?

Not planned as daily driver, just as a weekend thrash.....

Though i like the idea of bolting a grear box to the motor

Allan

you could use chain drive with a sproket running on the back of the chain for reverse, you someone would need to incorperate (cant spell) a clutch of sorts to enable you to disengage normal drive & engage your reversing sproket, you could also use this said sproket to tension the chain to your preferance. Just an idea, prolly stupid but meh!

what about just lining it up and going through the factory box just leave the factory box in 4th that way when you stop you can still use reverse.

. connect the bike clutch to your clutch pedal etc

basically you would have 2 gear boxes but im sure making a coupling to go onto where the drive sprocket for the bike and connect that into the gearbox would be a lot easier than using electric motors and stuff .

also it would give you a whole lot more ratios as you could use all the other gears in the origal box , bit like low in a 4x4 gear box