re-registering a vehicle

pies

Also, if a car has no plates tags anything what is the best way to check if it is stolen or not?

does that relate to what I think it relates to...

:wink:

if the rust is structural it needs a repair cert.

Wouldn't want to chop up someones elses car. I had a 3 stolen just over 15 years ago now and I never got it back and it was never seen again. It was mint and I bet it got chopped up for parts. I always wonder about some of these cars that pop up with no history and long time in storage. How the hell am I to work out if they are stolen or not.. :(

Oh and thanks for the heads up about a repair cert for rust. Will have to look into this further. Cheers!

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was talking about that rx3 thats on trademe with no paperwork, hence the winky face haha.

wheres the rust? usually easier to get the re-viner to look at the car and tell you what they will want a repair cert for.

Yeah I know, have that 3 on my watch list, not for a project but as a parts car, depending on price... The rust question is about a different car..

So with rust it IS better to show the vin person the car before getting the rust repaired then. Makes sense. :D

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd share my latest experience with reregistering a vehicle if it helps anybody.

It's my impression that you need proof of previous registration to make everything easy. This can be a wof sheet or sticker or licence etc. Otherwise you may need to apply for an exemption through an alternative documents form (I believe thats what its called). Proof of ownership is not required, all I needed was to go to a court and sign a form in front of a justice of the peace to declare my ownership. Take those to the testing station and thats should be sweet.

• 4 weeks later...

ive just looked into getting a deregd XF fairmont re-regoed.a mate of my uncle who has known me all my life came to see it as his work does re-reging.it has quite a bit of structural rust around the front door hinges.apparently to pass a repair cert theyve got fussy as (expletive),put cameras down inside the areas,the whole nine yards with bare metal once rust has been cut,then new metal welded in yadda yadda.so to cut a long story short i got told its a waste of time trying to put it back on the rd :( just thought id share the info

Any ideas on this.... I just bought in a car from the UK. It was my intention to attempt to get it road legal. Anyway at the shippers the IVS guy comes and looks at the car and couldn't find a VIN, It is stamped under the tinware in the rear of it but they didnt have the tool to remove the panel.

So I picked it up because I didn't want it left at the shippers. My question is, having been never registered here can I take it to a VTNZ and get the process started. I have all the paperwork from the UK sale receipt, UK MOT etc. Even have he UK number plate.

It is heavily modified, so if the above won't work, could I push it through as a scratch built ?

ive just looked into getting a deregd XF fairmont re-regoed.a mate of my uncle who has known me all my life came to see it as his work does re-reging.it has quite a bit of structural rust around the front door hinges.apparently to pass a repair cert theyve got fussy as (expletive),put cameras down inside the areas,the whole nine yards with bare metal once rust has been cut,then new metal welded in yadda yadda.so to cut a long story short i got told its a waste of time trying to put it back on the rd :( just thought id share the info

I hate XFs. But if I were in your shoes i'd fix it up and say the repairs were historic from when it was still registered.

I hate XFs. But if I were in your shoes i'd fix it up and say the repairs were historic from when it was still registered.

im not the biggest fan either but it was free with a reconned 4 litre,and it used to belong to the mrs' old man.and that could work,hadnt thought of that option

• 3 weeks later...

Take it down to VINZ, VTNZ or the AA and get a vin number, then take to cert inspection. Then when you think its sweet take it back for it full inspection.

You can never get the cert plate before the 28 days expires otherwise and you have to pay for a re-check.

• 1 month later...
Guest EvoBilly

im to lazy to view all the pages but im looking at buying a old caravan to do up and was trying to find info and prices to re-reg it can anyone help

also looking at some bikes same deal

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harley

hey guys, Im looking at getting a '74 chev pickup that has been rolled, It needs a new cab but isnt too bad over all and is a good price.

I Know it would need a repair cert and i have talked to afew people about that.

My question is that its last owner was the insurance company, how do i go about proving that i own the vehicle.

I can get the previous owner (who brought it back after the writeoff) to do me a sale and purchase reciept, will that suffice?

Guest azzar

These days you have to get a form of the vtnz and take it to a JP and sign it infront of them declaring that you own it.

Any idea what the number for this form is? i.e. MR...

I'm trying to reregister an 82 Cortina that lapsed in 1995. I've got the plates and a Carjam report etc, I just need to prove ownership.

I hope it's that easy...I can't chase up the last registered owner to sign anything because he's no longer alive :-(

Guest Rookie

It's not a MR.... form, it's just a piece of paper that has the details on it. Go see a VTNZ they will give you one, then go sign it infront of a JP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest datto_610

I'm thinking of buying a car soon that has lapsed rego. My only concern is that it has a cert for modded suspension and does that cert still apply if I get it re-registered or will I need to go for cert again?? The answer to this question pretty much dictates whether I buy the car or not.. Sorry If this has been covered in previous posts I had a skim through this thread but didn't find what I was looking for. Cheers