Superchargers, Carbs and fuel everywhere...

73 'rona

So I've plumbed an sc14 super-charger into the factory 6r engine in my corona.

Worked out the bugs and basically ended up with a consistant flow of compressed air blowing all the fuel out of any hole it can find in the carb.

Ha oops.

People keep talking about 'blow through"carbs, but when I push them further they don't really seem to know what they're on about.

Basically what I want to know is can I make the setup run with the original carb or do I "need" a special one?

What's the difference between 'Blow Through" and "Draw Through"?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mite pay to have a talk to a old skool V8 man. they would have a pretty good idea as to what to do as they have been doing this for years. or just muck around and see if something works. maybe try using a good silicon joiner and hose clamps where the charger pipe connects to the carb

I have mainly seen blow through on SU carbs.

Old V8 Fords etc. could be had with blow through using Paxton Superchargers and Ford brand Holley 94s.

One other option is to lower your compressor speed by changing pulleys until the carb can manager it. Lowering the float bowl setting MIGHT help too.

I know nothing about what you are trying to achieve - I am just guessing.

Unclejake Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old V8 Fords etc. could be had with blow through using Paxton Superchargers and Ford brand Holley 94s.

One other option is to lower your compressor speed by changing pulleys until the carb can manager it. Lowering the float bowl setting MIGHT help too.

I think i'm in over my head here...

What is the SU carb? ( please excuse my ignorance!)

I'm running about 6PSI into it. and I'm basically just trying to see if I can get a little more power out of the old girl...

I've got the charger plumbed straight into the top of the carb ( no intercooler at this stage) and I've just pulled it to bit's and tried to seal up any obvious leaks...

I really have very little knowledge of carbs in general but i'm guessing that making this actually work is going to be alot harder than just sealing all the gaps and hoping for the best?

Unclejake Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think i'm in over my head here...

What is the SU carb? ( please excuse my ignorance!)

SU is a brand of carb. People also use Stromberg carbs dont they? Guess its cause of the diaprames which presurises it.. fuck knows..

Triumphs had them along with many other brit cars.

Ah also.. have seen on here many years ago someone posted about a kit for one of the webbers to make it suitable for boost. Dunno how crediable it was and cant member anything else apart from seeing it.

Sorry for the bum help

Generally Toyota carbs won't take boost, look for a carb from a factory setup like Charade but you might need two due to the size. The other option is using a carb inside a sealed box so the inside and outside of the carb see the same pressure, seen it used with Holleys on V8's etc. Make sure your fuel pressure is high enough and no plastic floats as they can collapse.

Callum

what he said ^^

someone in town maybe able to mod the factory carb to be airtight and work (i.e not leak) ,but easiest option ive seen people do is the box

have seen this done on a toyota engine will post pics when i can there on my comp at home

not sure what you fill the floats with cos ud have to amke sure it would sit the same as with air in them

with suck through, dunno how well that would work with supercharge on it only ever seen turbos?assume its the same dealio though

plus su carb suck through setups are crap mate had a turbo 4k with one and it was :lol:

most of the older mitsis where blowthrough carb, hence why i put that post up, the guys in ozz are against injection for some reason.Dont know what mitsi used for the carbs, just normal solex ones rejetted to suit i think

No, alot of the turbo carb Mitsis were SUCK through. Take the MK1 Mirage Turbo and the early Cordia 1.6 GSR Turbos for example - they had the turbo between the manifold and the carb (which was an AISAN carb). The exhaust was routed from the exhaust manifold around over the gearbox up to the turbo on the inlet manifold. Made for an interesting setup which caused turbos to have a short life.

Have a look at this, off a early 4G32 Cordia GSR Turbo - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =108046137

I think it was only the Sigma GSR Turbo (in Australia, where they primarily used Solex carbs instead of AISAN like Japan and NZ) which was blow through carb turbo.

I think everyone already covered what I was gonna say, but yeh I think the sealed box around the carb is the cheapest option, however ya will still need to make sure fuel pressure is higher than boost.

There are carbs that are designed for boost, or atleast modified for it floating around, and they probably dont cost too much 2nd hand if ya know where to look.