PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yuh, ruins bodyfiller aswell, means you have to fix all that again, i would only use where i cant use my DA and 40grit to strip with.

also depends on the stripper i have used some stuff that seemed only to degrease lol and stain the paint, the crc stuff seems to get a good rep.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, great thread ive learnt a few tricks reading thru it already :):) ive got a question about underseal...

Ive just about finished the rust repairs on my mark 2, i have already used rubber underseal on the wheelarches and the sills. Its the crap in the red spraycan available from mitre 10. the stuff seems to not set very hard. (soft enough i can still rip it with my fingertip yet i sprayed it a month or so ago.)

Im wanting to spray the boot channels (like around the rubber boot seal) and the roof gutters under the chrome trim with something similar only more durable that sets harder, is waterproof and i can paint over it.

Some of my welding/nutech is not all that tidy and i think underseal would smooth it up a bit and still be flexible and waterproof, more so than just normal primer and paint. i dont wanna use the mitre 10 shit and have it all soft getting damaged putting stuff in the boot etc.

Any1 know of a quality, durable, hard setting rubber underseal and or where i might find some?

Thnx :)

If its flexible then paint will have a hard time sticking to it. Underseal is supposed to not set hard so it doesnt chip off, but mine i can just pick off with my finernail, a very hard push with my finger with leave slight marks in it. i think what your tring to acheive would look quite bad sorry, i reckon you get some spray putty, its thicker than filler primer but thinner than bog and spray that around you bog/welded areas the prime and paint. As for the boot, hippos bedliner would make a durable boot finish or if you dont need so durable, $50 got me primer and some quite hard but not for polishing paint that i sprayed my boot interior with.

Hey thnx, yeah some spray putty sounds like it would help. I know underseal in there sounds bad :? but i was kinda imagineing i would mask off all but a thin 20mm strip around the bottom of the U shape metal channel and spray a thin coat of underseal/sealer. This would be half covered by the rubber boot seal when i refit it and would create a waterproof layer protecting the whole water runout channels. I can see normal paint finish cracking as soon as that boot lip gets hit by accident putting stuff in the boot etc.

Im not too concerned with what it looks like to a point its just an effort to keep water out and try save my car rusting anymore from the inside out. :lol:

Basically i want to know any good underseal brands available, If u have used the mitre 10 stuff ull know why i wanna try something better or at least more suitable for what im trying to achieve.

cheers again :D

I have used a whole lot of stuff i got cheap from repco and supercheap to flood my sills with lol, paint wont stick to it, not that i wanted it to.

Properly applied paint should not crack, you can add flex additive which further increases its flex ability, i have a quarter panel that was mashed in by a useless parker and the only defect is the rub from the other car, the paint was fine.

If you still believe a type of coating is necesary then use clear silicone, very flexible and not too hideous, underseal is soft and messy and ugly and i really doubt it gets much better than the mitre 10 stuff, unless you are using such things as black epoxy. Underseal is basically a tar, its a bitumen based compound.

underseal is soft and messy and ugly and i really doubt it gets much better than the mitre 10 stuff, unless you are using such things as black epoxy. Underseal is basically a tar, its a bitumen based compound.

Nope.

I believe al_feinted is using a stone gaurd,far different from underseal.tends to be far more rubberised.It's used under gaurds as it absorbs stones "pinging sound" better,and will not chip.it's not used on sills or exterior as it's far to thin,and will not protect from rust aswell.Underseal will set rather hard.

Stay clear of a Mitre 10 type place,stick to a dedicated automotive stockist.

My recommendation: just use a high fill paint,keep in mind you cannot sand underseal.

Ill try get some filler primer coz i need some for other areas and can look into sikaflex. I may try using the underseal but a real thin coat. If it looks like poo i can just scrape it off, repaint it. If it seems to do the job, bonus :)

I already painted my sills in the underseal and i plan to paint over it with white. ill spray primer over the underseal, then paint white final coats. should stick fine.

The car is far from getting a full paint job its just gonna get all the repair patches repainted to get wof'd and back on the road.

anyone know a place around sth aucks, east tamaki to get some filler primer, just wanting some to brush on and sand etc. If they can mix up toyota white from a paint code that would be sweet :)

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the paint I first used was 2k (Resene) which I hated, I couldn't get the metallic to sit properly but I think it was just the paint itself. Other brands may be better (Avenger will probably know)

1k then 2k clear is alot easier for a garage job IMO, You'll notice they do it this way on programs like overhaulin, probably because its easier to mask on when it dries up quick

If you're doing a single colour thats not metallic I'd just go 2k paint and clear. You won't get runs with 1k either I've noticed, unless you be an idiot with it. :wink:

Not sure on price difference, depends fully on the brand. The first car I did was 2k and was 220ish iirc for the paint, mini paint (Debeer + Resene clear) cost me 400ish which was 1k greens (base + top), 2k white and clear, where-as the rolla was just straight blue, no clear (don't do that :lol: )

dylan, check out the paint on my mk5, its autothane 1k white with no clear, cost me about $120 all up. it polishes up nicely, but looks good even without a polish, i never got round to giving my car a good cut/polish after i painted it because i was happy with the results straight outa the gun.

dylan, check out the paint on my mk5, its autothane 1k white with no clear, cost me about $120 all up. it polishes up nicely, but looks good even without a polish, i never got round to giving my car a good cut/polish after i painted it because i was happy with the results straight outa the gun.

what sorta gun did ya use?

Other brands may be better (Avenger will probably know)

I think you no my answer :wink:

2k clear is good,however in different temperatures 1k rules supreme.

dylan:For black,pick yourself up some 2k.PPG is good and reasonably priced.

*I'l eleborate more on 2k.vs.1k tomorrow when i've got more effort*