PAINT THREAD

dylan

Guest 13BPPTURBO

this may be a long shot but here goes.

i was in a bike shop in manukau on saturday looking to buy my 5yr old and 2yr old xmas presants and came across this bike that looked like candy apple red that had bin sanded flat the tag said it was DARK FLAT RED. iv tryed all the usuall paint web sites to find a colour chart but no luck. can any one help

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortuantely the DARK FLAT RED will simply be a sales person/marketing link to the colour they use.

Dark - any shade darker than normal

Flat - useful... at least that cuts out other finishes

Red - well, any shade with a tinge of red.

So pretty much if you want an exact match, these details tell you nothing. However, if you have just bought a bike for your kids. Ask the store owner if you can borrow the red bike, take it to a paint matching shop and they will give you a docket with a few numbers and colours on it. This is their reciepe to make that paint. They can then make it in any volume and for any delivery system (from pre-made aerosol cans to 10 L buckets).

• 2 weeks later...

Avengeeeer!!

So yeah, painted that Levin today, with a slight problem (apart from my little cousins extremely bad body work :lol:

Was all going fine till clear.. I mixed it up 1:1 as it said on the can and off I went, the problem though is that it went straight back to being matte? - It sprayed on as normal clear would, nice and shiney but by the time you finish a guard it starts going flat again

Clear is single stz btw - Thought that may have something to do with it?

I've sprayed 2k clears before with absolutely no problems so I'm thinking 1k = the gays?

so I went down to colourworks, guy said that I would need some $600 respirator like a spaceman suit to stop the cyanide getting into my lungs because I would need to use 2 pot mix for 3 of the 4 coats that would go into my engine bay... and that its illegal to paint using 2 pot mixes in residential areas...

no one mentioned this stuff... you guys just paint in residential areas without masks? or was he talking shiz?

so I went down to colourworks, guy said that I would need some $600 respirator like a spaceman suit to stop the cyanide getting into my lungs because I would need to use 2 pot mix for 3 of the 4 coats that would go into my engine bay... and that its illegal to paint using 2 pot mixes in residential areas...

no one mentioned this stuff... you guys just paint in residential areas without masks? or was he talking shiz?

Hah,good salesman right thurr.

pick up a 3M(or similar) mask,mine set me back $80(discounted).

NEVER had any troubles.

you know where i work,doors always open and %99 of our work is 2K.

he's a penis,buy the paint