si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

Recommended Posts

For re-rego on my Mini I used a bunch of brake stuff from both local and UK, and provided receipts. All no-name generic stuff. No issues, didn't need to strip them down for inspection or anything. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @cletus I've read through the thread and there were a few queries regarding power steering delete ages ago.

The answers then were:

either

- non-power steering equivalent fitted

or

- rack modified by a reputable place

Would it be certable if NDT shows a welded pinion to be good even if it is done by other than a reputable place, i.e. a competent welder?

If so, what NDT would be required - FPI crack check? X-ray for porosity?

I ask this because I had a pinion welded up a while ago (which was well before I read up on this thread) based on what is supposedly a common mod amongst MX5 crowds overseas.

Here are a couple of photos for reference. 

Thanks in advance.

pinion.jpg.8c6747898f66c977f581945c1cafffe9.jpg

weld.jpg.82a7c3ca4a68dc5fcab025e6282ddcc4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be a bit surprised if that would pass a cert check. Usually welding in the steering assembly is discouraged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I'd be a bit surprised if that would pass a cert check. Usually welding in the steering assembly is discouraged.

Yes the hobby car manual (which I presume is superseded by ccm?) states that that internal components within a rack and pinion steering assy fitted to a LVV must not incorporate any welding but the previous discussion on this thread appears that power steering delete is allowed if done (I don't know if this involves) by a reputable shop.

Regardless, if NDT shows no defect, shouldn't it be good (in theory, at least)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ul9601 said:

Yes the hobby car manual (which I presume is superseded by ccm?) states that that internal components within a rack and pinion steering assy fitted to a LVV must not incorporate any welding but the previous discussion on this thread appears that power steering delete is allowed if done (I don't know if this involves) by a reputable shop.

Regardless, if NDT shows no defect, shouldn't it be good (in theory, at least)?

Well, lets see from the experts, @KKtrips may have an opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea that wouldn't pass even with ndt 

Any welding on a steering component that is critical for steering control cant be welded

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cletus said:

Yea that wouldn't pass even with ndt 

Any welding on a steering component that is critical for steering control cant be welded

 

Ok thanks - in regards to your previous comments about a reputable shop getting it done, is it still a goer and do you know how they modify it?

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nominal said:

Well, lets see from the experts, @KKtrips may have an opinion

That's a big 10-nope rubber ducky.
 

1 hour ago, ul9601 said:

Ok thanks - in regards to your previous comments about a reputable shop getting it done, is it still a goer and do you know how they modify it?

You can have power steering deleted in a rack but it must be done by a known and reputable steering specialist and an invoice must be provided to the certifier as evidence. No idea how they do it, but that's why they are the expert and I'm not. LoL

(if you are unsure of your steering specialist is known and reputable then talk to your certifier for a name he trusts)

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black plate questionz.. 

Has anyone tried sending a photo of a reproduction black plate (one from the boys at doozi) to the nzta for using as the original? 
I won an auction for a scoot and the plate has been chopped at both ends so not suitable for re use.

EF1AD8A1-145D-4AAA-9587-887A8F80D607.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother got his plates approved from pictures, but they weren't from one of those suppliers. We drew them up ourselves and had them CNC machined.

 

 

Just because it was approved doesn't mean it is legal

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ul9601 said:

Ok thanks - in regards to your previous comments about a reputable shop getting it done, is it still a goer and do you know how they modify it?

Cheers.

Pg hydraulics in east tamaki is the only place I could recommend with confidence for steering work  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ajg193 said:

 

 

 

Just because it was approved doesn't mean it is legal

Legally the plate has to have been supplied by the government or in more recent times a government agent for the production of plates. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not overly concerned about the legalities of it, just wondering if nzta would pick up that it isn’t an original plate. If we were talking about legalities plates that are bent, chopped or angled are not legal either. 

Having a black plate is cool but probably not worth the hassle! 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you asked...... & that is what this thread is for (sometimes better to do & not talk about it eh :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, xsinclairx said:

I’m not overly concerned about the legalities of it, just wondering if nzta would pick up that it isn’t an original plate. If we were talking about legalities plates that are bent, chopped or angled are not legal either. 

Having a black plate is cool but probably not worth the hassle! 
 

I have no doubt that a Doozi plate would pass the required photo of the plate test. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Front seat belt lower anchor points on or near a B piller. Can someone post a photo of what an acceptable one would look like installed on an old car...bonus points if it's an impala? Or perhaps a link to where I'd find the required standards? 

I need to sort this issue out for a cert, and I still haven't got my head around it yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2346710495

Looking into buying these for my Datsun/Patrol project. Trying to get some more info about the materials used etc, have emailed the company asking for more info. 

Found this:

http://roadsafe.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RAP365A-RANPB.pdf

@KKtrips @cletus Any ideas off the top of your head, if these are/can be legal, or have you seen these before?

Any help appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.