For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

question regarding cages for clint,

been advised a 6 point cage is neccesary to keep my gemini straight due to the v8 etc,

planning on drags as well as cert for roaduse,

was going to get carlos to build it but what are the specifics i should look at,

size tube? plated in at A and B pillar?

subframe to tie in at the B pillar was the plan,

also will i still be able to carry rear seat passengers?

tip forward fixed back seats for entry?

some extra strength would be a good idea. You need a motorsport authority card to run a full cage in a unibody road car. if it was me id decide what sort of motorsport you are going to do and get hold of the regs for that and build the cage to suit. TBH im not that clued up on cage specs, as far as a cert goes we are more concerned with the interior impact side of things rather than the cage construction, the authority card covers that.

unfortunately rear passengers are a no go with a cage, ive looked into that for someone else who wanted to take kids for skids in a race car and it couldnt be done......

Porsche offers a bolt in full roll cage (with harnesses) as an option on GT2 and GT3 model 911's, I believe being these are factory parts they don't require an msnz authority card to be road legal?

If the cage was bought from Porsche and installed at a later date (say to a 2009 car) would it still be legal without an authority card?

On a semi related note: Do TRD (Toyota Racing Development) parts sold/fitted to a new car by a toyota dealer count as factory option parts? ie: if you optioned your new GT86 with TRD height adjustable coilovers would it need certification?

trd stuffs= would need cert even if fitted at the dealer. ive done heaps of estimas/boring cars with electric swing out seats, these are fitted by a toyota company (TECS) and are sold new from toyota dealers like that, but because they werent actually made by toyota they need certing. same with some nissans, those rb26 powered stageas, some pulsar 4x4s fitted with sr20s, all done by a company called Autech

porsche rollcages= if you fitted a factory cage to one, it would need auth card. a new one factory optioned i believe would be ok without because its oe equipment. would have to find out to be 100% on that though.....

What? You have to cert an Autech Stagea even though it has exactly what it is on the data plate and is built like that by Autech?

the ones ive seen ( not that many, probably 2 or 3) have had rb25 on the data plate. same with the autech pulsars ive done, they get picked up at compliance because the data plate doesnt match the engines in them.

i havnt seen any with the correct engine number on the data plate, thats not to say they dont exist, because then it wouldnt need a cert/i wouldnt get to see it.

have you seen one with rb26 on the data plate?

Now if i remember correctly, the autech stageas rolled down the line as normal RS4's and then autech got them and fitted the gtr bit's. So they all carry the original RS4 build plate

This.

Was a way of getting the RB26/more power in there without breaking the 206kw agreement.

Porsche offers a bolt in full roll cage (with harnesses) as an option on GT2 and GT3 model 911's, I believe being these are factory parts they don't require an msnz authority card to be road legal?

If the cage was bought from Porsche and installed at a later date (say to a 2009 car) would it still be legal without an authority card?

porsche rollcages= if you fitted a factory cage to one, it would need auth card. a new one factory optioned i believe would be ok without because its oe equipment. would have to find out to be 100% on that though.....

Thanks for the answers.

Though how would a wof inspector (or anyone else) know when the cage was installed?

yeah brake calliper bracket, that sux was hoping on doing it this week back to the drawing board i think, i can bolt to spindle where the original bracket was just need to get another set of rotors redrilled to go on the front face of the hub so i can have the room to do it that way, thanks for the quick response

You're on a roll Clint! One for my coupe. The previous owner made a mod to a fixed chassis cross member with a gas axe. There is still a lot of meat in it but is this Likely to be a major? Does this fall under your cert or the repair cert?

Cheers.

Andy