For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone see any cert issue with swapping out Merc "Airmatic" suspension for a set of these?
https://coiloverkits.com/cdn/shop/products/r9-hs2-129_1_1_695x695.jpg?v=1646841453

Rev9 brand.
There is BC options too, either look to be a lot better quality than the D2 or YellowSpeed options.
Would have to run lower rear control arms from a slightly different model Merc (C211 arms into my C219) and leave the height sensor linkages in place to keep the ECU happy.

Any ideas why this isn't certifiable? https://www.redlineperformance.co.nz/product/hardrace-to-suit-altezza-aristo-rear-upper-adjustable-arm/

HARDRACEALTEZZAARISTOREARUPPERADJUSTABLE

Is it because we just dont allow this type of arm,  or the rod end, or just because China?

I would have thought at least these upper arms would be okay with multi link rears since there would be negligible load?

Looking at picking these up https://www.serialnine.com/product-page/is300-jzs161-jzx110-billet-serial999-rear-upper-control-arm but thats waaaaaaay too much money for something that is also unable to be made legal here.  No welding to be turned away with these.   (Hopefully image isnt too big here)

209b1c_4baac289665f48f08e238a3a07b98d84~

Ideally lower arms like these would be the go instead (cheaper). But i think other people have been turned down with the equivalent hardrace, due to design rather than poor quality?   https://www.serialnine.com/product-page/jzs161-is300-jzx110-rear-lower-control-arms

I'm not sure what's up with redline saying they can't be certified, it may be an ass covering statement, so they don't have to warranty any that fail cert.

It's not a loaded arm so should be OK provided the welding is good, sometimes the robot who does the welding at hardrace forgets to turn the gas on or forgets how to weld, then the grinder robot has to come over and grind it out for the welder robot to have another go 

Also sometimes there are bind issues with hardrace stuff. Generally it's OK though. 

I'd steer clear of anything aluminium if you can, that can be challenging to certify unless you can get proof of what it's made of and there's no doubts ie don't buy anything that could have been made in China. 

Lower arms are no good due to them being loaded ie they support the weight of the car , and there's a threaded rod end that has a bending load on it. Can't be certified unless you get an engineer to supply calcs they are suitable, none of the arms checked meet the loading requirements as far as I've heard 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ThePog said:

Are these legal to use? The X1/9 came with these not the standard sealed beams.

There is no branding and almost no marking on them.

Dt4wChr.jpeg

UmcF9sr.jpeg

ICe3bty.jpeg

China will put whatever standard they feel like on a lens to sell crappy light to round eyes 

You will probably find they won't meet wof beam pattern requirements though 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, cletus said:

China will put whatever standard they feel like on a lens to sell crappy light to round eyes 

You will probably find they won't meet wof beam pattern requirements though 

I just checked, they do not achieve any meaningful standard for beam pattern.

They are so shit I am not even sure they are worth selling on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cletus said:

I'd steer clear of anything aluminium if you can, that can be challenging to certify unless you can get proof of what it's made of and there's no doubts ie don't buy anything that could have been made in China.

What kind of proof would I need.   These are machined in Canada, and claim to be "Precision CNC machined from 6061-T6 and 7075-T6 Billet Aluminum"

Would I need some kind of formal documentation?  Its a small company who should be able to provide whatever is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2023 at 18:09, morkster said:

Hi, could someone please tell me if a hood/head lining is required for a wof?

Reason i ask is i need to fix the leaking sunroofs in a s1 Disco and at the very least i need to lower the lining, but i'm thinking of removing it as it's a bit rough anyway.. thanks

I 'fixed' the leaking sunroofs in my Disco a by covering them completely with clear PPF. I need to redo it as it has split on one part though. Definitely stopped the leaks though. The headlining on mine was ruined so I replaced it with grey polar fleece bought from Spotlight. You can get it in extra wide widths so can do the whole headliner in one shot. It's stretchy and glues well (but use high temp contact glue) and looks pretty good. On mine the interior is grey so it blends right in. You don't need foam underneath it which is what goes on the original headliners. If anyone asks I tell them it's headlined in Muppet hide! 

Simon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4