King Country Crusade 17th 18th 19th November 2023

On 11/10/2023 at 06:41, anglia4 said:

Cheers for the tag, I wasn't even aware of this cos life & shit. Will need to do some shed time to try & get a bike running, and totally not organised with any accommodation (expect I'd have to consider camping option), but if the stars align I could be a possible last minute entrant...

• Like 2

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pee Dubs said:

Cheers for the tag, I wasn't even aware of this cos life & shit. Will need to do some shed time to try & get a bike running, and totally not organised with any accommodation (expect I'd have to consider camping option), but if the stars align I could be a possible last minute entrant...

I might be able to expand on the accom I've got booked there pee dubs.  Want me to call around? 

• Thanks 1

Sooooo... Bucket Barry and I drove the entire route yesterday (14 hours!) and have the following observations:

• We can confirm you are all in for a fucking epic treat of a ride.
  • The gravel quality and quantity is much higher than expected. SO. MUCH. GRAVEL!
  • I'm gonna throw out a controversial statement and say the Pomarangi's are potentially better than the Motu road... 
  • There are 7 tunnels
  • We saw no less than 3 of the "Caution - Extreme care - not suitable for caravans or heavy vehicles" signs
  • Road1.thumb.jpg.a91ec9d758eb8069fd923eea7ececdb5.jpg 
  •  
  • Kiwi road is a little sketchy. We drove it fine in the landcruiser, but if we have a 2WD support vehicle and it rains then we might need to send that one around to meet us at the other end. These turkey's did it in a prius though! If its not raining it will be piece of piss.
  •  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, TheGriz said:

Someone may have addressed this already - are we planning on trying to slot in at the 12:00 road opening?

image.png.3b301623fb92e6f5f6acd0726130eaef.png

Yeah discovered that wee curve-ball on the recky drive.

We will be doing a lunch stop in Whangamomona, so will take the morning at a leisurely pace and aim for the 3pm opening. Its an easy run from there to Taumaranui.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, morkster said:

Interesting point there^

I'll most likely bring this as a support vehicle is 4wd..

IMG20210519160234-Copy.thumb.jpg.bc2d36db6523f151123db9bce2103444.jpg

Am thinking on bringing some basic tools, first aid kit, salvage ropes/strops, petrol can, and water too..

Sweet. We will chuck a chainsaw on the back of one of the utes too.

Lesson learnt from last year on the Motu! We nearly needed to use it on the scout drive too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stickers are on order. Patches are on order for those who ordered.

The Whanga pub will be open and happy to have us.

The Ohura Cosmopolitan Club are opening specially for Sunday lunch to make sure we are well primed for the Waitaangas & Kiwi Rd.

Shits falling into place.

I should probably get my bike ready too...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1