j.e.d.’s 1983 Chev Camaro Discussion

j.e.d.

Just time and what looks like a fair bit of wiring.. someone seems to have deliberately cut the wires but I could be wrong.. it was on the road a couple of years ago, but the car was repossessed from the finance company.. I’m grateful it looks to be complete and has a few nice things in it.

5 hours ago, cletus said:

Does it have a cert on it, and some red suspension arms? It looks familiar 

1 hour ago, oldrx7 said:

I thought the same - this pic is from 2019 drag day.  Plates don't match up on carjam though, so must be different, just same wheels?

image.png.31526544de195b7c6e64a8e0fd9566d6.png

Nah not the same car, but it looks like red Camaros with US Mags are a popular choice as I've seen another one with IROC Z on the side....

image.png.1b0d5c8454cc25481c742608c560b7f1.png

I guess I can say mine's the only one with the T-Top

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, datlow said:

Do cheap mexican made replacement looms exist!? 

Not sure, I might have to do some googling.. I’ve just been contacted by a guy who has a complete loom from an ‘89 (less taillight loom) that he’s pulled out of his car cos he’s turning it into a track car.. wants $50 for it and although it looks like a mess of wires it’s all complete down to all the relays and ECM which I don’t seem to have.. just not sure on the difference between the years.

• Like 2

I did find this 

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/82-92-camaro-firebird-dash-harness-used-select-application/

as im guessing your dash loom is cut up. otherwise might have to ring around some of the wreckers here or find a facebook iroc page and post. and im not sure also if an 89 loom will be the same or not.

the engine bay as looking as if doesn't have any factory stuff anymore like engine related i would just start again and possibly just buy a rewire starter kit as has the wiring and colours and fuses and relays already.

I think there is a few auto sparky type people on here 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

I did find this 

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/82-92-camaro-firebird-dash-harness-used-select-application/

as im guessing your dash loom is cut up. otherwise might have to ring around some of the wreckers here or find a facebook iroc page and post. and im not sure also if an 89 loom will be the same or not.

the engine bay as looking as if doesn't have any factory stuff anymore like engine related i would just start again and possibly just buy a rewire starter kit as has the wiring and colours and fuses and relays already.

I think there is a few auto sparky type people on here 

Yea it looks like the wiring has been hidden in the engine bay.. not necessarily a bad job, but where it comes out is just a mess of wires. There is an 83 in a wreckers out west but the guy said the wiring loom isn’t available sadly. I just don’t think they wanna go to the trouble of taking it out. Cheers for the link too, I’ll check it out.

7 hours ago, dmulally said:

Lovely car!

What is that loom for? Does it have TBI? I can't quite tell from the pic. 

I rewired my C20 in a weekend with an American Auto Wire kit. Boring but done and dusted and everything works. 

Thanks man.. nah no TBI.. just a 355 from what I’ve found out with a MSD/carb setup, so no need for an ECM I believe.
Looking at all the options at the mo.. you make it sound so easy lol

• Like 1

Oh yeah Id gut that entire loom and start from scratch. With a loom that big I assumed efi/tbi or something.

Take one day to gut it entirely. Then a full weekend running each one out one at a time. I prefer American Auto Wire as the wires are a lot softer than your typical Narva branded ones from Repco so you get them out of the way easier. Then you'd never have to worry about it again. 

I cant seem to find a specific one for 1983 so Id get something generic like this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmulally said:

Oh yeah Id gut that entire loom and start from scratch. With a loom that big I assumed efi/tbi or something.

Take one day to gut it entirely. Then a full weekend running each one out one at a time. I prefer American Auto Wire as the wires are a lot softer than your typical Narva branded ones from Repco so you get them out of the way easier. Then you'd never have to worry about it again. 

I cant seem to find a specific one for 1983 so Id get something generic like this. 

Sweet cheers, yea I couldn’t see anything for ‘83 either. This car has push button start and an aftermarket under dash heater unit and digital dash also, so I’d assume these things are easy enough to wire in

Does the digital dash all work?

If it works and you like it just terminate it at the fuse box and try and refresh individual wires to the right places.  

If it doesnt you could always change to a custom analog dash. Would be loads out there to choose from and you'd only ever do it once. 

The digital dash was prob why it was so hard to find an off the shelf loom. 

Thankfully being a small block chev you only need three wires or so to run it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Do they call them a harness in the states? I'm sure there's an off the shelf one for that model available somewhere. Would be a faff but prob easier in the long run...

Yea wiring harness.. I did see a couple of harnesses on the Classic Industries website, they did say compatible with my year

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1983/chevrolet/camaro/parts/tf900215.html

• Like 1