RUNAMUCK

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

CT110s have never been an issue.

I’d disagree. This year, and I only got to do half of day 1 on a CT110, the other postie was miles behind the big bikes on the Lewis. I got a hurry up given to me on mine later in the day as the big bikes were well gone. 

The other CT wasnt running right. 

The back up vehicles expressed frustration at being stuck doing 60 on a 100kph road. (Which is understandable) 

This years ride is nearly 1000kms. The back up vehicles have to be the last across the line. (Because anyone can break down at any time, and cell coverage isnt relaible) but the guys driving back up wanna get where we're going, and have a beer too.  

8 minutes ago, Whoopeecock said:

I’d disagree. This year, and I only got to do half of day 1 on a CT110, the other postie was miles behind the big bikes on the Lewis. I got a hurry up given to me on mine later in the day as the big bikes were well gone. 

It's often the dithering at stops that keeps everyone held up 

Slower bikes arnt the problem.

If you have a slower bike please be first off the line. Have your helmet and gloves on and be ready to go first. Not leave each stop 3 or 4 mins after everyone else 

Edit : this isnt a dig at you @Whoopeecock it's just an overall reason why we hurried a few riders up

• Like 2

We have almost 11 months for everyone to get their machines running tip top.  A dead bike is a dead bike. (It happens) but riding all the way to the end is heaps more fun than sitting in a back up vehicle with your bike on a trailer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

A good CT can do 75.

Hell the monkeys can do 75 cant they?

I think my top speed was 93 on the down hill. Monkey is quicker, but my point is the smaller bikes like the postie will be a hinderance compared to the ever increasing big bikes. I looked at that XL250 but decided against it because I thought it wouldn’t be enough of a challenge. I was aiming to chuck a plate in my 79 XL100 next year. 

E694C1A5-92EC-496B-9E33-987623BB35CA.jpeg

• Like 8

Just now, Whoopeecock said:

I think my top speed was 93 on the down hill. Monkey is quicker, but my point is the smaller bikes like the postie will be a hinderance compared to the ever increasing big bikes. I looked at that XL250 but decided against it because I thought it wouldn’t be enough of a challenge. I was aiming to chuck a plate in my 79 XL100 next year. 

E694C1A5-92EC-496B-9E33-987623BB35CA.jpeg

I dont want this to become a ride for "big bikes" 

But the back up guys dont want to be stuck behind super slow bikes.

90-185cc is the target range.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I dont want this to become a ride for "big bikes" 

But the back up guys dont want to be stuck behind super slow bikes.

90-185cc is the target range.

Don’t think there’s ever been anything smaller than a 100cc has there?

1 minute ago, JustHarry said:

Postman steve ct90

He was not slow, one of the first away

There was only one section i can recall that he was slow. He was quite happy for a slipstream to catch up

32 minutes ago, Whoopeecock said:

Don’t think there’s ever been anything smaller than a 100cc has there?

20 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

@Truenotcha was fast AF on his ~100cc machine. May have over taken me on the WR250R more than once...

That bike has 97cc of face-scrambling torque. Catch me if you can. 

300+ km per day will be a challenge for sure! I'm up for it and agree that we need to avoid dawdling or stopping too often (I'll try not to break a clutch lever or cable next year...)

Any thoughts on the start point? I'll be living in Queenstown, so might be able to offer a spot for mechanical repairs along the way if we're going past. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

We have almost 11 months for everyone to get their machines running tip top.  A dead bike is a dead bike. (It happens) but riding all the way to the end is heaps more fun than sitting in a back up vehicle with your bike on a trailer.

I can attest that despite the top company and entertainment of assisting various bikes in states of woe, sitting in a back up vehicle isn't the greatest after making the effort to be there to ride.

Full kudos to the support crew guys that choose to do that - without them we couldn't really ride small, old, and inappropriate bikes where we do for fear of getting stuck out in the wops!

13 hours ago, Whoopeecock said:

I gotta agree here that at some point the bigger bikes get too capable to enjoy the struggle. At that point we might as well all bring modern dirt bikes like hundreds of others do on other rides!

I've always felt my AG100 was a bit slow to keep up, but mostly that's handling and gearing on trail, because it can still do 90-95 wound out on a flat road. This time around I made a short notice purchase about a week prior so I had something slightly less painfully slow to ride, as I hadn't managed to finish the rebuild of my old CT125 - but I'll admit in hindsight an XL185 was on the upper end of the off-road performance scale when compared to CT's, A100 and the like. It was however the most suitable option I had available.

We need to accept that there will be a range of bike performance and rider ability, but ultimately though the biggest factor is having something reliable, running right, and with enough capability to make progress on hills and rough stuff. Increasing the ride distances make this even more important, as there becomes a time factor to make each next stop and end point of the day.

XL100 will be perfect imo. I hope to have either a 90 or 125cc ready for next year. Looking forward to the struggle with ya! Cheers

• Like 4