DABUZZ'Z 1971 MAZDA CAPELLA RE + New 74 RX4

dabuzz

all of the above(EDIT-last page now:x) , injectors were above the blower, and had a massive cooling effect with the meth, so much so, that there was icy cold condensation around the throttle body after a run.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, oldrx7 said:

I'm sure you've already had the thought - but what about a rougher unpainted bonnet to chop up?  Or nah, send it.

I actually have another good bonnet, and was going to - cut, panel, paint that one, but thought what's the point, as ill just cut the one on the car, and I wont need to do any panel or paint.

If (I Wont) I ever need to fit a normal bonnet then ill just panel and paint the spare when the time comes, saves spending 2-3k unnecessarily now 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

To be honest I don't know, I did speak with a certifier before buying it, I explained that it sits right next to the factory fuel tank behind the seat, essentially you're not changing much, just adding another pump and reservoir into the system in similar locations.

I'm not sure he quite understood how these were built 50 years ago though, because he started talking about then the boot must be factory sealed away from the cabin if the fuel tank is there, I explained they were not built that way back then. He seemed to be ok with it from there, but ill guess I'll find out at cert time.

Maybe our resident Guru @cletus might have an opinion?

Hope I'm OK though, hate wasting my time and money..    

1 hour ago, dabuzz said:

To be honest I don't know, I did speak with a certifier before buying it, I explained that it sits right next to the factory fuel tank behind the seat, essentially you're not changing much, just adding another pump and reservoir into the system in similar locations.

I'm not sure he quite understood how these were built 50 years ago though, because he started talking about then the boot must be factory sealed away from the cabin if the fuel tank is there, I explained they were not built that way back then. He seemed to be ok with it from there, but ill guess I'll find out at cert time.

Maybe our resident Guru @cletus might have an opinion?

Hope I'm OK though, hate wasting my time and money..    

My tank is under the floor so probably can't get away with that

Yeah it will need to be sealed from the passenger compartment, either by sealing the boot 100% (harder than it sounds, rear firewall, parcel shelf, and up inside the rear 1/4 panels and pillars) 

Or, you could put it in a sealed box 

Or mount it outside the boot, under the floor 

a car that has a factory tank in the boot ie rx3 , if it's all factory then you don't have to change it. But if you made it efi, with a pump in the boot, then it would need to meet CCM requirements 

Pressurized fuel in the passenger compartment is the issue 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dabuzz said:

So what I'm hearing, is I wasted my time and money....lol

Not necessarily,  in your case a sealed box, around the surge tank, with a drain outside and possibly reroute the hoses might be an easy ish fix?

• Like 1

On 09/05/2024 at 20:08, cletus said:

Yeah it will need to be sealed from the passenger compartment, either by sealing the boot 100% (harder than it sounds, rear firewall, parcel shelf, and up inside the rear 1/4 panels and pillars) 

Or, you could put it in a sealed box 

Or mount it outside the boot, under the floor 

a car that has a factory tank in the boot ie rx3 , if it's all factory then you don't have to change it. But if you made it efi, with a pump in the boot, then it would need to meet CCM requirements 

Pressurized fuel in the passenger compartment is the issue 

ahhhhh shit. so iv got a alloy tank in the rx3 now with an intank pump inside the tank, to replace the factory tank. so this means now need to work out how to seal boot? or is the fact the pump is inside the tank make it ok, as obviously cant put a box around fuel tank......

9 hours ago, MRWEST said:

ahhhhh shit. so iv got a alloy tank in the rx3 now with an intank pump inside the tank, to replace the factory tank. so this means now need to work out how to seal boot? or is the fact the pump is inside the tank make it ok, as obviously cant put a box around fuel tank......

Been a while since I discussed it with @cletus for my application, but from what I remember, its more to do with the connections inside the vehicle. So if you have hose connections/clamps that could possibly break or leak, or any sort of flanged/removable connection, then there is a chance fuel vapor could get into passenger cabin if there was a slight leak etc. Which is why sealing off the boot is needed.

In my case, all the fuel fittings were under the floor, but because the filler neck passed through cabin and it had 2 hose clamps connecting filler neck to tank, I had to seal it off.

I could be wrong but I think we established that if I made a fancier filler neck connection under floor with a low profile o-ringed flange or something like that then I wouldn't have need a sealed off cover.

But I'm not sure about whether sealing is required if you have a 100% sealed tank with all connections/fittings under floor when you do a carb to efi swap. Probably depends on how your tank is setup. If you intank pump has a flanged access point inside the boot like Kellys surge pot does, then that would likely be classed as a potential leak point.