Shuzz's " I've had this since before you were born" Hilux

CarolsHusband

On 10/01/2019 at 21:18, CarolsHusband said:

I know everyone's seen it but I'll put it here too. Maybe very similar to this or the racing paint job but in these colours.

Not going to worry about it too much till the weather warms up.

F6vZDdw.jpg

70s-tastic. Reminds me of this. Gonna restore/paint some furniture like this one day...

2gum0wv5.nba.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly there.

Drivers side window & mechanism back in and working, Seats in. Wiper mechanism greased and working.

My "Illegal, not for road use, only for show purposes" front number plate has arrived. Nanny state gone crazy, etc. Bollocks to it, you'll never take me alive coppers.

All electrics done except the brake lights. Fuck knows what their problem is, wankers. One for the morning I reckon.

Once I've sussed that I'll book it in for a test. Mate wants it out of the workshop to move stuff around, it would be nice not to put it back in and take it home instead.

We shall see how the morning goes. No relevant pics so have an ever so slightly rusty beetle wheel instead.

002 small.jpg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, CarolsHusband said:

Well.

Drove it home today, and a very enlightening 7 miles it was too. What a bumpy, noisy, sluggish pile of junk it is. Can my memory really be that rose tinted ? Who was it who said "gutless" ?

40 MPH flat out. Despite its N/A status  it still used to do 70+.  I'm guessing some new injectors might help but I'm going to start off dumping a bottle of cleaner in the tank.

IUZ-FE swap will get you going.

• Like 2

Nah, it was in H2. Just wont rev beyond a certain point if there's a whiff of a hill. Up to max revs in 3rd but won't pull in 4th.

I've never put a set of injectors in it & I'm pretty sure that sitting with shitty diesel in it for 10 years hasn't helped them.

I'll bung some cleaner in and wash what's left of the piston rings into the sump.

That'll do it.

Maybe just get new injectors, it's not smoking or getting hot so I'm not that worried.

• Like 3

What happened was.......

The problem of the sluggish performance has been solved. As has been pointed out the 2.4 litre 2L diesel engine is indeed "gutless". 68 bhp, so I'm told.

However, the main problem was the rusty old nut behind the wheel.

Too many years of triple diamond four-wheelin' mean't I'd forgotten where the transfer lever goes for 2H on a Hilux. It's not the same as a Mitsubishi. Derp.

Autopilot plus hubs locked in and it's no wonder it was struggling. The new tyres weren't ever going to let the box unwind either.

Silly Shuzz.

MOT tomorrow so got it all ready and then set about tidying up the interior. Just as I finished today, the headlights and fog light packed up.

Fuckity balls.

Still, the interiors come up ok. 1980's steering wheel FTW

/pics

001 small.jpg

002 small.jpg

Hopefully some good road legal type news tomorrow :)

• Like 7