CarolsHusband

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

What happened was.......

I hadn't put quite enough rtv on one rear corner so it leaked again. Shame really as it was spot on everywhere else.

Pulled it off (fnaar) and re-did it with a fresh gasket, a smear of rtv and a very small ratchet. It's fine now.

Put a new stat in as it wasn't getting up to temp, but apart from that it's been ace.

Decided I'm definitely going to fancy it up with a bit of paint, it's looked like a Mad Max extra ever since I've owned it.

Found the Rockauto do a bumper for 9 quid and a valance for 5. What a bargain.

Postage ? £ 170.00

That's one   hundred   and   seventy   pounds. Flipping Nora.

Going to start prepping and priming once it stops raining.

/No pics for fred soz

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dell'orto said:

Look at it the other way around, 170 for a bumper and valance, and only 14 quid delivery, bargain!

I was just checking the pics on rockauto and US spec Hilux images and had decided to look at it exactly like you said :)

So I'm ordering them right now, delivery June 19th.

£14 to ship from the states.

Bargain.

/I'll be round to yours if they don't fit.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CarolsHusband said:

I was just checking the pics on rockauto and US spec Hilux images and had decided to look at it exactly like you said :)

So I'm ordering them right now, delivery June 19th.

£14 to ship from the states.

Bargain.

/I'll be round to yours if they don't fit.

I'll pop the kettle on

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bonsoir les chattes bon.

Three month update and a bit of a brain picking session.

It's been great, I've put 3,500-ish miles on it and really haven't had to do much except put diesel in now and then.

Anyway, last week I was aware, once again, of the smell of failure in the air. Had a look underneath and yep, sure enough, oil's coming out. And a bit of water & P/S fluid, but that doesn't matter.

Looks like it's the rear crank seal this time. Sigh.....

So it's engine out, and as has been pointed out once or twice, a "gutless " engine at that.

If it's out and broken, why would I put it back in ?

Obvious solution is a later 2.4 turbo lump (or a 2.8 if they bolt straight in) but I'm considering a bit of an increase of workload for the old bus (more of which to come).

So my question is any ideas ? I don't want to cut massive holes in the thing and I don't want to make my life too complicated.

It cant be much longer than  the stock lump so it's Rover V8 (no laughing at the back), or a similar sized diesel ?

Not one of those Toyota 1UZ-FE V8's thanks, I get a headache just looking at diagrams of them.

4BT Cummins ? I'd put a Land Cruiser 1HD-T in, but it's way too long. A TD5 might fit I spose....

Just want some more torque and not too much elctrickery.

Any ideas ?

Chur.

• Like 1