Indiana_Jones' Jag discussion

Tidy old 40 youve got there don't see many good digi dash cars these days. I've got the same deadly disease I've got a 93 xj6 sport.

Not currently near my car although from memory it sits around 14.5volts. Haynes manual specs say 13.5 to 15 then load it up with lights heater blower etc and it should drop then come back up. All your earth's and connectors ok? 

• Like 1

Tidy old 40 youve got there don't see many good digi dash cars these days. I've got the same deadly disease I've got a 93 xj6 sport.

Not currently near my car although from memory it sits around 14.5volts. Haynes manual specs say 13.5 to 15 then load it up with lights heater blower etc and it should drop then come back up. All your earth's and connectors ok? 

Cheers for the comments, yeah she seems to be losing charge and the battery is going flat (battery is around a year old). I'll see if I can measure the discharge with the car off to see if it's within the acceptable range or not, and go over the various electrical connections and see if they're all clean and tight etc. 

On 25/07/2018 at 20:14, Carsnz123 said:

Waddaya mean by charging issue? Those number seem ok. 

No they're not. 

The battery should sit above twelve on its own and with the alternator running should be between thirteen and a half and fourteen and a half volts. If it's dropping to battery voltage with the alternator running then the alternator is not taking the load. 

The alternator not doing its job is the likely cause of the battery going flat and if its been doing it a while then it could have fucked the battery early. 

Check the basics though. Belt tension and connectors first. 

• Like 2

Its been a while since i was last diagnosing charging issues but 13.5 feels on the low side for running but no other load

My last issue on ae82 was the alternator itself but they are a pretty easy and plentiful swap so just grabbed a spare

• Like 2

Hey mate, I don't believe that it does. I think it's still connected, as I can feel some sort of pipe going to the rear shocks, but need to get the wheel off and confirm. 

Does yours have it still in place? as apparently a lot of cars have had it removed over the years, simply to save the hassle of maintaining them. You can buy kits to remove the system, which seems to be the recommendation, but I believe that you can still get parts for the SLS system if you're keen to keep it.

Assuming mine is still installed, I'm not sure what I'd do with it, part of me leans to removing it, for simplicity's sake, the foamer side of me would be keen to keep it lol. 

Let us know how you get on with yours. 

And agreed, they are lovely cars _b

• 1 year later...

Been a while, work and house etc getting in the way.

Having issues with the brakes, VCM is saying low pressure and the pedal is sinking to the floor. I've bled the system and I'm fairly confident there's no air in it. I think the fluid is going down after using the brakes, but can't see any obvious signs of leaks under the M/C or from the pedal box (but will double check).

Is this a Master Cylinder failure? or perhaps a failure in pressure switch where the brake booster/accumulator meets the brake lines? New accumulator sphere needed? 

Thought I'd post this here, to see if anyone else had any ideas, cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

is that a blend on the same panel? can't quite tell in the pic. Are you saying the left portion is the new paint and the right portion is the existing paint? to me yes the paint colours aren't a match but also it seems the blend is quite abrupt.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, fuel said:

is that a blend on the same panel? can't quite tell in the pic. Are you saying the left portion is the new paint and the right portion is the existing paint? to me yes the paint colours aren't a match but also it seems the blend is quite abrupt.

Correct, left is new and right is old.

Yes the blend is abrupt, that's just down to my shoddy painting and couldn't quite see it look that bad during the process.

I'm no painter but

3 minutes ago, fuel said:

The width of the panel is too small to blend that, you would want to paint the whole panel and then blend the surrounding panels.

I do about 2 paint fan lengths from the repair and then a 3rd for the clear

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fuel said:

The width of the panel is too small to blend that, you would want to paint the whole panel and then blend the surrounding panels.

Thanks for the tip, when you say the width of the panel, do you mean heading towards the right in the photo? (which is the boot lid).

I can make a MS paint special later, but what I have done is painted the panel that is at the base of the rear screen and then have gone around 3 inches onto the boot lid to try and blend from there.

Here's another photo for reference

image.thumb.jpeg.2490e00d8096a70f68380bb85441db8d.jpeg