Eastcapescapade 2018 November 9-10-11

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I have a crate which would be perfect too. I'm already giving a lot of thought to what I'd take, and how itd fit. Under seat storage is the bomb. But little wheels are going to be aids on gravel.

Small wheels are fine.

less distance to fall.

its the adventure. Not the bike

the fun is taking bikes that shouldn’t be doing this sort of stuff on this sort of stuff.

if we were being lame and sensible we’d all buy Honda xr650s /bmw Dakar’s and do the loop in a day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yea this def doesn’t need to scare people off / too much thought in it, and the whole point in it like said is to do it on shit small bikes.

i guess what we are getting across is make sure that bike isn’t an FA50, as hills would kill it. Modern CVT scoots are fine for this, a stock standard 50cc 4 stroke ruckus did it fine last year, the best thing about modern 50s is they tend to be reliable. 

Jamie had all his fuel and shit under the seat and then wore a backpack with his clothes, couple of pairs of undies and a couple of tee shirts and your sweet, I didn’t bring any wet weathers or anything last year. If we take my Ute we will have a canopy to put everyone’s bedding / tents and shit in, but stuff you may need on the ride needs to be on your person (basic tools, fuel, spare tube etc) as if that stuff happens the best thing to do is have 1 or 2 people stay with you while you fix and the rest of the group keep going and catch up with them at the next stop. It means you may miss 90% of a lunch stop but doesn’t slow anyone down. 

I think taking my Ute is a really good idea actually, it has a fixed VHF radio and I have a portable I can bring that tee leading bike can take, so tail can talk to the head. It also has fleetlink radio and a PLB so we can get contact out of cell reception / pull PLB in case of emergency 

• Like 6

Ronnie the Dio is a '98 and cVT.  He's good for 70ish. And I have zero.qualms about holding it wide open for days at a time. 

I'll probably do a quick rering, new drive belt, plug, and final.drive oil change over the winter.  StI'll need to put some.new tyres on, (front one is perished af atm) and fit my aliex spannie. 

This seems like the best idea ever.  

A bloke I worked with new a guy who rode the whole south island on an old c50 back when they weren't that old.  He said he was in no rush, and he saw everything along the way.  Stuff that you just don't see cruising at 110-120.

The fact I've never been any of those places before makes it all the more enticing too.

• Like 3

Smalls tryes are fine Bart you just keep to the swept line and watch for big rocks. Getting your brakes working top notch would be the most important thing on a cvt scoot. I came into a few corners a bit hot and better brakes would of helped

Yeh last year went really well, and none of us had done it before. As far as I know the 50 Jamie rode is stock standard, and he was fine. Basically if we can leave a little earlier each day, and order basic food, it will just give us a little more time in the evening for activities and so on. Not much went wrong, so I'm confident people will agree not much needs changing. The simplier the better!

And don't worry Bartholomew, there will be stickers again ; )

• Thanks 2

Yea bart a dio would be lush!!  Chuck a $30 AliExpress performance variator on it and as you said a belt, fresh piston will never hurt. I’d happily smash the journey on a dio. As you say you see so much more at this speed!! I’d you got your scoot to Wellington I could grab it when I’m down there for work and bring it up with me from the mighty Manawatu 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 64vauxhall said:

All this XR650 talk has got me barred up. 

Could try supply mine as a top gear style looser bike for lols. 

I intend to do this trip on big bike some time, but pretty sure I would genuinely be quicker on the gravel sections on a CT. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BLIZZO said:

Yea bart a dio would be lush!!  Chuck a $30 AliExpress performance variator on it and as you said a belt, fresh piston will never hurt. I’d happily smash the journey on a dio. As you say you see so much more at this speed!! I’d you got your scoot to Wellington I could grab it when I’m down there for work and bring it up with me from the mighty Manawatu 

I recentlyish fitted a $9usd one that Chris R put me on to. Top speed went from 58 to 70ish. I bought a fully hektik spannie at the same time (which I'm yet to fit) If I'd known how much better it was going to go with just the variator I never would have shelled out the extra shekels for the spannie. Now when Im wide open the needle sits pegged right off the end of the dial. 

Shipping my my ride to Welles would save a few pennies. I take it you could then bring it up to the start point too?  

Yea man I’ll likely haul a trailer and can fit scoots in the back of the Ute also. Depending how many other peoples shit I’m taking up will determine how many spare bikes I bring. Ask raizer about that spanny, those Ali ones are pretty average and you would need to re jet so it doesn’t lean out and kill it. He has technigas ones pretty cheap, could probs flick the Ali one off on the tard