Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

Great job, Isn't it amazing how much time and energy can go into a single component..

oh yeah I'll just whip up a shift mechanism that does exactly what I want and doesn't fall apart, or make shit ho backwards..

This is what the mx5 one ended up looking like, the Nissan box didn't come with a shifter, and needed to come forward anyway due to engine position..

(Note this was version 2)

20140612_170631_zps6c2b0327.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! ^  it's a fun job making stuff like that work eh! 

I'd love to have some sort of exposed shifter mech (think pagani :x) along the top of the tunnel but for a semi daily road car, with a handbrake etc or would have been annoying. So double universals hid it all away. 

• Like 1

Are you planning on setting up any kind of protection/shielding for the shifter linkage assembly? Looks great at the moment but I imagine road grime and general detritus may not treat it too kindly?

• Like 1

Yeah I should have mentioned that in the thread. Might point it out next time.  Yes- there is a standard rubber cover on the imp shifter base that will still fit. I think it was pictured in the pic of barrys shifter.

I'll just need to add a shoulder under the base (as seen in the bits I cut out)

Then along the underside of the tunnel Imps normally have a full length cover that bolts in place. I say normally because I do have one but its been sitting in the frunk of the spare imp shell waiting for me to clean it up, paint it and fit it to the blue imp.  It's only been since 2019..  I've not yet damaged anything in the tunnel but this new setup is more exposed so I'll definitely be fitting the cover up!

• Like 4

On 03/03/2024 at 08:18, yoeddynz said:

Nice! ^  it's a fun job making stuff like that work eh! 

I'd love to have some sort of exposed shifter mech (think pagani :x) along the top of the tunnel but for a semi daily road car, with a handbrake etc or would have been annoying. So double universals hid it all away. 

I've thought about making one of these for the bug.

image.png.4c07c200d603afe061c9efab71122015.png

Bug-tech.

As always, enjoy your work man.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 63Ragtop said:

I've thought about making one of these for the bug.

image.png.4c07c200d603afe061c9efab71122015.png

Bug-tech.

As always, enjoy your work man.

Pretty sure I have left over bits for a beetle shifter invention if you want em. I was going to go VW on top of the tunnel but went Imp shifter and up at the back like Alex. 

You appear to have dodged a bullet. 2018 and later goldwing engines have developed a fault and there's a recall.  Two faults actually. Late fuel pump rotor disintegrates/swells up and seizes. And a LH thread torque to yeild bolt in the gearbox breaks and locks everything solid. Late 6 speed and semi auto boxes. Info on the goldwing forum.

A friend in the UK was given an 1800 engine from a fire damaged bike. He's not properly looked at it (because he's always starting new projects and never finishes anything.. He should be on os :tongue:) but he reckons the camshafts could be run in reverse and by changing the chain tensioner location the engine could be changed to clockwise rotation. I have not really looked into those engines because it's hard enough finding a 1500 and an 1800 engine would be moonbeams from a wrecker. But they are lighter and have fuel infection already fitted. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Changing the cams direction of rotation is only the start - and probably the easiest bit. Plus it's probably one of the ones affected by the recall.    Honda haven't come up with a fix for the bolt breaking yet. The head gets stuck in the gearbox and locks everything up solid - which can and often does break the cases.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 15/03/2024 at 21:15, GregT said:

Changing the cams direction of rotation is only the start - and probably the easiest bit. Plus it's probably one of the ones affected by the recall.    Honda haven't come up with a fix for the bolt breaking yet. The head gets stuck in the gearbox and locks everything up solid - which can and often does break the cases.

I'd not be worried about that because one would still be stripping the engine right down and potentially cutting down the crank case/cutting off the transmission case like I did to lower the cg. There'd be no transmission to jam :grin:

@NickJ I dunno and offset. I never really liked at that aspect but I have a feeling the crank centre line is inline with the bores and I can't remember seeing much, if any, offset on the gudgeon pins. But I guess there must be a bit of offset on the pins because the pistons are marked for fitment the correct way up. 

Not sure if the 1800s have hydraulic cam chain tensioners which could make things that bit more tricky. I have never looked into those engines myself but curious. They are pretty cheap to buy in the US and if 'easily' changed to clockwise rotation  would be a neat engine for all sorts of applications. 

• Like 1

Yeah. Looks like it may be the bolt on the end of the crank which fails. That's judging by the pics as i can't open the parts fische. In my experience those are usually a dry loctite coated HT bolt which is often put in on the line using a pneumatic tool. Very easy to overtorque I'd think.

I once had a GS1000 in the shop which had never been opened from new. I finished up using a 2ft long bar with another 3ft piece of tube over that to get the alternator retaining bolt on the crank end undone. 12mm fine thread and way overtightened.

I'd doubt if there's any offset on the bores. Very rare on flat engines.

• Like 2