Joker's New Boring Daily Company Car

JoKer

Popped up on the Tard as a Trade-in Picked it up Cheep & is as advertised & what I bought, so not unhappy with it

Plan on a Service & decontamination then some light Work Duties

2001 VX V6 3.8 Auto High KM's and tints : Perfect! if under what I was shopping for it will do for now

6935167151.jpg

Original NZ Owner was a Barry! So this is officially my Barrymobile

Aftermarket Sterereo so does anyone have experience rewiring the Steering wheel controls? for say a Pioneer or Sony Head unit?

edit :these do-hickeys? https://www.qualitycaraudio.co.nz/car-stereo-983/head-unit-accessories-67/steering-wheel-control-99/

2nd link : https://www.wavetech.co.nz/search.php?s=steering+ (for my future reference) &I'm now told I need this if I want it to work : https://www.wavetech.co.nz/Axxess-ASWC/

answered my own question : carry on Barrying

Found $2.20 and a Black Bic Pen so far : winning?

• Like 3

Good idea. Trans cooler let go in my vs over pressurised the cooling system, burst the top hose and made a strawberry milkshake bukkake all over the engine bay

Could never get all the trans oil out of the coolant which made it slightly difficult to sell cause anyone that removed the radiator cap was all HOMG U HAS BHG

#lingorpost

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, xsspeed said:

fuel flap still present!

yep not part of that Club just yet but it is a bit out of alignment so its only a matter of time

also needs the classic Rocker Cover Gaskets to contain the Joy & Engine mounts to hold the monstor still

• 2 weeks later...

hah holy cow I'm tempted after doing some Googleing cos I'm bored & figure no-one else will care or read but here you go / most of this will be for my own amusement & records

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine (over 25 million produced! total)

Series II[edit]

Introduced in 1995, the Series II is quite a different engine. It is also by far the most popular of the 3800 family for its power, smoothness, fuel efficiency, and reliability. Although the stroke for the 3.8 L engine remained at 3.4 in (86 mm), and the bore remained at 3.8 in (97 mm), the engine architecture was vastly changed. The deck height is shorter than the Series I, reducing weight and total engine package size. This required that the piston connecting rods be shortened 1 in (25.4 mm), and the crankshaft was also redesigned. A new intake manifold improved breathing while a redesigned cylinder head featured larger valves and a higher compression ratio. The result was 205 hp (153 kW) and 230 lb⋅ft (312 N⋅m), better fuel economy, and 26 lb (12 kg) lighter overall weight (to 392 lb (178 kg)). This 3800 weighs only 22 lb (10.0 kg) more than the all-aluminum High Feature V6 that currently dominates GM's six-cylinder applications, despite being an all cast-iron design.

The new intake manifold greatly improved airflow. To meet emissions standards, an EGR tube was placed in the intake manifold to reduce combustion temperatures. The 3800 Series II was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 1995 through 1997.

GM recalled 1.5 million vehicles with this engine on April 14, 2009 due to risk of fire from engine oil leaking under the valve cover gaskets onto hot exhaust manifolds. The fire could spread to the nearby plastic spark plug wire retainers on the valve cover and then to the rest of the engine compartment. GM fitted the affected vehicles with redesigned spark plug wire retainers.[4] These engines were noted for having problems with the plastic upper intake manifold cracking around the EGR passage. The engine would then hydrolock. The lower intake gaskets and upper intake manifolds were revised, correcting all these issues.

L36 Naturally Aspirated[edit]

220px-Ecotec_V6_of_a_1997-2000_Holden_VT

A variation of the L36 engine in a 1998 Holden VT Commodore
220px-GM_3800_Series_Naturally_Aspirated

Another variation of the L36 engine in a 1995 Oldsmobile 88

This engine was used in the following vehicles:

which also pops up on the "Ward's 10 Best Engines" of the "20th Century"

specifically 1995 1996 and 1997

and for shits & gig's here's some inspiration that I'll likely NEVER attempt to recreate

ps new boot struts turned up last week, gees now I struggle to close it LOL but not deadly anymore

Seeking / WTB Cargo Barrier

Fuel Gauge still bung, sender is in tank & not a simple fix so I'm tripping 400km then filling up which seems sound in theory (1st fill on Fuelly in my sig)

JC thread

have found all the hidden Menus on the Single screen output & can track water temp and L/100 kms even the volts and Digital Taco, pretty cool, temp leads me to believe the thermostat has been removed, as sits near on the bump-stops of cold currently, managed to get it up to 89 degrees over the Saddle Road which is normal operating temp according to the Manual which I read cover to over the "break" & learnt a few things like the Dead lock feature & electric seat and cruise control

any point trying to track down a 3 window dash & attempting to retro fit? I kinda wish for the dash PRND321 display now too as I've learnt about that too

should probably just log all this on "Just Commodores" & keep reading FAQ's there

temptation to pop the e34 17"s on was short, even if it worked there's stories of broken studs & I'd still be left with the VX rims not fitting the BMW on bricks etc 5x120

Happy to Barry on for now

12 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

menu/s

there's two Menu's, one on "Mode + Up" and another on "Mode + Down" when you "key on" & yeah details on what Cop mode is are pretty thin, reckon more power / Optimus prime abilities & probably stops logging each time you go "over speed"

1 hour ago, WLDRX2 said:

happy to measure

yep keen, pending some more investigation / could probably make it work, went & bought a bunch of stretchy ties to stop stuff sliding about for now (Deliveries for work etc)

8 hours ago, WLDRX2 said:

measurements

Google pics AU

$_75.JPG

vs VX

92183873.jpg

AU looks wider? will do better googleing & see if I can find some Dimensions / datum points to compare, seems cutting or modifying them voids stuff & doesn't help their integrity ec

Install Guide for a VN here

coming from Subaru with separate Chassis identifier for Sedan vs Body (BD Sedan BG Wagon) its weird to me that VX covers Both sedan and Wag chassis with the only separators appearing to be in the VIN?