SOHC's vintage lawn tractor

SOHC

As far as I am concerned this is finished, 

fitted new starter solenoid, replaced the fuel pump with a B&S pulse pump as the Kohler pump was $400 fucking dollars, I had to make a blanking plate for the old mechanical pump. And I have fixed the wiring with all new connections and I wired the hour meter up, checked the tappets and rebuilt the carb. I still need a new air filter.

There is one last job that can be done at a later stage and that is withdraw the rear axles and replace the seals, I will drive it into the shed at some stage and do that on the stands. 

• Like 2

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I found how to get the rear axles out, RH axle is a short tube and the LH is a long solid shaft and runs right through the diff and then through the hollow RH axle, a big split pin and washer holds everything together. I should be able to pull them out and wack in new seals and bearings.

I drove over to a friends place on it this afternoon, if you let the clutch out a little bit too fast the front wheels will come off the ground, and it dosnt matter if the engine is at idol or full throttle, I think towing a trailer on steep or uneven ground would be dangerous.

• Like 2

But I was thinking it would be good to improve the whole drive line and get rid of the chain drive and replace the diff with a car diff and then have a brake for each wheel so you could lock up the side witch is skidding to swap the drive to the other side like other tractors