3d printing modeling software etc

8ball

I haven't done any computer modeling stuff since high school on a really old cad system.

But thats like 20 odd years ago.

Wanting to print some small parts /ideas for projects.

Stuff you can't buy but need.

Fusion360 is free and very powerful, i've been using it for a number of personal projects and a work colleague who is right into 3d printing swears by it, mainly because you can switch between modelling and sculpting when repairing 3d scans.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

@NickJ what was the name of that software you were using to take photos of an object and upload them to a crunching server to produce 3D model?

Autodesk Remake, but you had to pay to be able to scale and do anything useful with the model I haven't done much more with it. 

ReMake.jpg

• Like 1

I got into 3D Modeling earlier this year, coming from knowing nothing i've done quite well i think. The main software i've settled on is SketchUp with the STL Plugin, ThomThom CleanUp3 Plugin that produces good Models for Printing in which I primarily use Simplify3D though i have found a few bugs in that with overhangs and occasionally i will slice with OctoPrint.

I read as much as I could about printers for a few months and eventually settled onto a custom Printer design called a VORON, its a CoreXY design that has a very light print head for very fast travel/stability, it also has a 240v SSR heated bed which warms up super quick.

There is a ton to learn and what really didnt help me was i couldnt find a good guide that helped in the initial calibration of the printer & filament (i've since written one)

More pic's here if interdasted.

INU3KzGl[1].jpg

Qs68qQKl[1].jpg

• Like 6

I'll have to checksome of them out once my bloody laptop is over its hissy fit.

(Aslong as thats b4 i throw it out the friggan window and drive over it a few times)

No use looking via the mobile. 

Thanks guys

• 8 months later...

Which program would you guys recommend for a total newbie to 3D modelling/printing? I am planning my N gauge railway layout and I feel that some HQ's, MK3 Zephyr's Falcon 500's etc would really set the scene but these don't seem to be available in N gauge (1:160/1:148). I am hoping that I will be able to model these cars and have some 3D printed? Any advice would be appreciated!

• Like 1

I use solidworks, but thats because I use it for work. I'll have to look at fusion360 one day

I have an anet a6 printer, its fairly legit, especially for the money

What is the 3D printing software you guys use? I use Cura as it came with my printer, unsure on cons/benefits of other software

• Like 1

I'm also using Cura, but not the latest version, which I've heard mixed reviews about. It seems pretty good. The only thing I'd really like to be able to play with is manually placing support structures rather than just letting the software do it.

I got as far as downloading Fusion 360 but we have PTC Creo at work so haven't really spent any time learning how to use it.

I have a Tevo Tarantula (Prusa I3 clone). It came as a DIY kit and was a lot of fun putting it together and having it actually work at the end. Most of my prints so far have been upgrades for the printer (filament reel holder, belt tensioners, upgraded brackets, cooling fan duct, adjustable z-stop etc). Probably the upgrade that had the biggest impact was adding the cooling fan to the hotend which improved the quality of printing angled overhangs and thin sections immensely.

So far I've been printing PLA to get to grips with the effects of changing print settings but have just ordered some PETG for higher strength and improved durability prints. I've just finished designing an ipad holder for the back of the car to keep the kids occupied when we go away on holiday at xmas.