Auckland Oldschool Family meet ideas

So with Summer approaching and the barbecue beckoning, I think it's a good idea that we start to plan some meets and small events for the sunny season.

My idea is that we could have a relaxed, weekend meet where we encourage Oldschoolers to bring their partners and children.

Something along the lines of a parkup at Mission Bay, with a bike ride along the waterfront, followed by a some Fish & Chips on the beach and a bit of frisbee/vortex etc.

There's also the Bastion Point memorial and lookout which is a lush grassy area for chilling out on.

The idea being that rather than cars/bikes etc being a hobby that is not family friendly, it is one where we can all get together and enjoy some time doing what we love. After all, we're pretty much just big kids anyway.

I'm envisaging it being on a Sunday as well so it's out of the way of most other activities.

Let me know your thoughts. I want it to be child friendly so we can include the next generation of Oldschoolers.

Mission Bay seems to fit the bill as there is a playground, plenty of open grass space and the beach is safe.

• Like 8

top notch idea threetrees

i throw omana park,out near maraetai, in the ring for consideration- theres BBQ areas, a big playground, can walk to the beach, point at sheep etc.

the only possible downfall i can see to mission bay is its very busy on a nice day and may be hard to get parking all together

• Like 3

All very good suggestions.

I was only thinking of Mission Bay as the first location as I'm not sure of how many cars will show.

Further away from the city would be better for both parking and a decent convoy along the way.

Keep the ideas flowing!

Edit: yeah teenagers can come too.

Blardy always playing spacies at the arcade these days.

• 1 month later...

Think I started a post about this sorta thing last year but let it fizzle out.

Any calling for a cruise out to a kid friendly spot where we can dribble on about cars and say over and over "be quiet. While daddy's talking to his friends we will go play on the slide soon"

" yes we can get an ice cream after daddy's finished talking to his friends"

"Go wait in the car il be there in 2 mins"

Long bay could be a goer

• Like 1

I saw some jokers had the key to unlock the chain to Tahaki Reserve (Mt Eden) the other day. It just looked like a few families in people movers. 

It can't be that hard to ring the council and ask them to open up places like that.......

• Like 1

Huia is a nice drive and they have nice parks by the beach with lots of parking, the fish n chip shop is bizzy tho, you can have some fun crossing the stream in a car to and further up the road is Whatipu for some gravel road action. 

• Like 4