tips for chasing an air leak?

RUNAMUCK

One of my fleet of broken down shitters idles like a tanga with a back yard port job. Seems to run Good otherwise, But it's a little jerky off the line unless you give it a gob full. Which Is a pain in the arse since it's supposed to be a luxobarge. The breather hose from the cam cover to the plenium Is Pretty mank. (For some fucked up reason they don't run any valve, and the crankcase see full manifold vaacuum all the time?). I've procured a brand new genuine replacemwnt hose, But not yet fitted it. (I have a gut feeling that isn't gonna be the problem, not sure why)

So id like to have a plan B before I even start trying to Fuck with it.

What Is the proceedure for finding air leaks on an engine?

The motor Is otherwise Pretty grouse.

Turn engine off and roll a huge joint and unplug a hose and blow a huhe lung full of smoke into the intake and if you are luckey it will come out the bad hose or gasket.

• Like 9

Pinch any vacuum lines that look suspect at the intake manifold with a pair of pliers and see if the idle changes.

Have a good listen around the intake manifold with a piece of vacuum line held up to your ear.

Years ago I worked at a place that had a machine that pumped smoke into the intake when the engine wasn't running so you could see where the smoke leaked back out. 

It seemed like a good idea but I never saw it used to solve a problem.

They're a $2,000 piece of kit though so ya might wanna improvise. A weed Wacker running too much caster oil with the exhaust hooked up to the cars intake could do the trick

Or try SOHCs weirdly typed suggestion.

• Like 1

I used the hose to locate a bad intake manifold gasket, 4 bad injector seals, and bad sparkplug leads on my volvo,

I could see it pull the water in around the injectors and manifold gasket , and it stalled when the leads got wet.

on shit German shit that leaks from everywhere.

Funny you should say. It was built in Germany. 

Another mate said he worked on the same engine once. It had a shit idle. The cam had got fucked, and been reground. Nothing would make it run nice untill the fitted a brand new genuine cam. I'd say mine has had a cam grind since it has zero wear at all on it. I doubt it's been lumpied though. There was nothing stamped on the ends.