RUST

Mr Vapour

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

panelbeaters always tell me to use brunox for rust, anyone else used it?

i have, it is a rust neutralizer that forms a skin on it.  Seems ok but i'd scrape the skin off with wire brush and put a protective coating on it.  The skin is not something i'd trust yet, don't think it lasts more than 6 months in weather.

• Like 1

electrolysis works well, is inexpensive and best of all is effective inside cavities where you normally can't get access.

I've used electrolysis as well on gears and smaller items from an engine and can't believe how well it works. I tested it out using an ice cream container, chicken wire, a battery charger and a water pump pulley from my engine (rusty as fuck), filled with water and dumped in a few tablespoons of baking soda. Left it over night and it came out brand new. Wish I took photos. Similar setup to below:

Py7bp2p.gif

Do any of the big shops sell bags of phosphoric acid (eg. Mitre 10, supercheap, BOC etc.)?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I have heaps of rusty parts for the ute and have found that there is lots of surface rust/light pitting in my floor SO my interest in rust removal has tripled in the past few days.

Why don't more people use electrolysis! I have a bath with brake disc bubbling away outside and I honestly can't believe how quickly it's happening! Cost isn't an issue- you need about 50c worth of Washing Soda (super easy to find eg bin-in) and that's about it!

I was using a charger but that was 1a max- now using a 19v 3.5a laptop power supply (cheap) with some alligator terminals.

The disc is simply to satisfy my curiosity though.

I REALLY want to know if electrolysis can be effective if you don't have a bath of solution.. I'm thinking wet towels soaked with electrolyte sitting in my floorpan with the anode laid on top.

I guess it depends on if the electrolyte needs to be free to circulate.

What if I made an electrolyte jelly or paste?

Yes grinding would work but this is so much cooler.

• Like 3

Lap top charger is smart. I have been looking for an old cheap battery charger for a while. With no luck .My charger has a stupid minimum voltage thing before it will turn on.

I have many different power supplies around.

That ideas a winner in my book

How has it worked out??

• Like 1

So here is the brake disc after approx an hr. I wet the other one so they were both wet (it was easier than properly drying the already wet one)

20160614_185216.jpg

I thought that the rust removal was only line of sight but it seems not.

To be honest I don't know how much further to go? Does the black disappear along with the brown?

Here is my first attempt at the floor rust. You can see the balloon of gas there (like when you fart in the pool and ur togs fill with gas lololol)

20160614_191629.jpg

and then with scotchbrite

20160614_192013.jpg

And then after approx 15 min

(And now I realise I had taken no more photos.....I went and got takeout, got back, marveled at the amount of sludge and then cleaned out the water etc because iz too scared to leave it going in shed over night without ventilation etc)

It is mighty impressive! Plug the power in and it instantly starts fizzing.

And I have read realised the rear patches are nowhere near as well glued in as I thought.

• Like 1

Ive got some big deep cycle batterys you can borrow and a charger if you want to dump some juice at it. wet foam will work good gas can pass thru it hydrogen dissapates very well you will get roughly 1 litre per minute of gas at 10 amps thats not much.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever used Gibbs brand before?

gbbs_cn_400x600.jpg

Apparently it's the shizz for spraying in your seams.. and protecting bare steel. I think Mike's autobody in the north are the only nz distributors..

*edit..   oh and you can paint over it also

• Like 2

Good read here and given me a bit of insight cheers guys

I have tried most of the Repco / Supercheap rust converters on various cars over the years and have settled with the septone rust converter from supercheap but we pour it into an old squirty bottle and spray it on and it seems to work very well for killing light surface rust before sanding and etching and we always use it to prepare holes before patching to clean up any remaining rust that might be hiding from us.  So far we haven't had anything come back through but im definitely in agreement that it is best to remove rust and replace the steel with brand new steel and then cavity wax the inside to protect it from coming back.