Help with traction bracket design / rear diff mounts

Roman

Hey,

My car has a 4 link + panhard rod fixing to a live axle.

The problem I've got at the moment is that after the car has been lowered, the 4 link angles cause some annoying handling issues which I wish to remedy.

The easy/common option is to buy/make some 'traction brackets' which bolt on like this:

2gsleh0.jpg

Which works for an AE86 etc because the 'top' hole in the diff bracket is the same size as a normal bolt hole.

However mine is quite a bit larger, (Thats what she said / not really) like this:

fqp4mval.afq.jpg

So I cant really use that second hole to locate it.

Anyone got any good ideas on how to make something fit? I dont really want to chop the whole mount off and remake it, because both the pins for the shocks and also the panhard rod mount sit on the back of these 4 links brackets. (Annoying!)

Current best ideas are to make a bracket with a steel pin or big washer type things that run through the middle to locate it properly in the big hole:

gfciyrii.yom.jpg

Or weld a new piece on to existing:

wlnqnaym.huv.jpg

Any suggestions / ideas / etc appreciated.

• Like 5

make a bung that has a step in it, the step fits into the large hole and locates it there and you weld the outer diameter to the diff bracket. then in the center of the washer/bung it has the hole size that you need .

let me know what you think I can make a silly little picture to convey the idea if the words don't do it for you

• Like 1

id just machine up thick crush tube that locates in the big hole but is slighty shorter so it all pulls up tight and run a 8.8 bolt right through

id do a crush tube in the bottom hole as well between the mounting plates and 8.8 nyloc

Options

• Like 2

Aahh thanks guys, Rookie that looks like a good idea.

I'll do some measuring etc tonight and see what looks feasible.

Anyone got any good recommendations for laser cutting in Penrose-ish area?

Or a bit further afield isnt a drama.

Mulcahey is localish and faster. SDL is slower and cheaper and better but are in Hamilton.

http://www.mulcahy.co.nz/

http://www.stainlessdesign.co.nz

There a're more but those are the ones that we use at work for 99% of our shit.

Interested to hear if anyone else brings something new to the table with a rating on service haha.

• Like 1

Like this

Bit that locates into the existing bracket.

u1UpR.jpg

And recessed a little for a mean tig bead.

YQpJ7.jpg

Naaaaaw put a chamfer on the pin for weld prep and sit it flush... Will look nicer

Edit.

Also make it cover the whole aide of factory bracket and give it a nice radius so it hugs the axle like factory.. So it will look a little less like a random bolt on.

You can print your plates out to 1:1 for testing and tweaking too. Fun.

Yeah we've made a few things like brake caliper adators already by drawing in cad, printing 1:1, checking, revising drawing, reprinting, etc etc then using it as a template to machine the final thing. Comes in handy later on having those cad files for if you need to make another one or whatever.

However this time I was a bit stuck for good ideas on how to make it + keen to get on the laser cutting bandwagon. 8)

I've got a good idea now of where to start, thanks guys.