Is this due to lack of swaybar?

spiderwebfx

So my car has gotten stuck twice will moving it around getting it ready.

I had this happen twice to me, and both times had to get someone to jump on the left rear corner to get it mobile.  Diff isn't locking, so that doesn't help the cause.

So the problem, one front corner is higher than the other three, one rear comes off the ground, opposite rear tucks up into the guard... Quite far for my liking.

In this instance, left front wheel is about 6" higher up than the rest.  The shock doesn't seem to compress at all.

Right front is on the ground.

Left rear is off the ground.

Right rear is tucked right up.

Questions;

Is it lack of swaybar?

Left front shock is possibly seized, will this be a possible cause of the issue?  I didn't try it with the right front wheel higher than the rest.

I'm interested in your thoughts, and opinions, and recommendations and a remedy.  So far I've been told it's due to lack of rear swaybar from some America S12 guys, but they also told me I wouldn't need one so I would like your guys opinion.

You can see the front and rear suspension set up in my build thread here.

Thanks, I'll throw the new coilovers in when they show up and chuck a reply in here if it does, or does not make a difference.

I haven't owned coilovers in a road going car before, let alone new ones, is there normally much movement if you bounce a corner of the car like you normally would?  Obviously not as much as factory, but I still should be able to move it right?

True.  As far as I know, the Cusco's are 8kg as are the new coilovers.  This is generally the original option for the front of S13/S14/S15's.  (I run S14 front's in the S12.)  I'll trial them at 8kg, but may consider 6kg's if I find them to hard.

My rear's are also 8kg based on the part number on them, but I don't know what brand the are so can't be 100% sure on that.

Fitting a rear anti sway bar to the rear of the car will only worsen your problem and cause the car to tripod.

there is no doubt you have a spring or shock issue.

Coil over shocks are not designed to be used for a long time and buying them 2nd hand is not advised and cusco seem to be the worse when it comes to that fact. Normally there is a reason they were removed from the last car.

When I first set my datsun up with the same setup I made the same mistake with some free cusco coilovers it was a scary 1st drive much tho my problem was that the shocks didint work and was similar to driving a bump stopped car constant bouncing.

Also WOW $400 to attach some sticks to the front tyres then jack the car up and down to check for movement in the toe of the tyres (bump steer check)

Fitting a rear anti sway bar to the rear of the car will only worsen your problem and cause the car to tripod.

there is no doubt you have a spring or shock issue.

Coil over shocks are not designed to be used for a long time and buying them 2nd hand is not advised and cusco seem to be the worse when it comes to that fact. Normally there is a reason they were removed from the last car.

When I first set my datsun up with the same setup I made the same mistake with some free cusco coilovers it was a scary 1st drive much tho my problem was that the shocks didint work and was similar to driving a bump stopped car constant bouncing.

Also WOW $400 to attach some sticks to the front tyres then jack the car up and down to check for movement in the toe of the tyres (bump steer check)

I paid $80 for the Cusco's to aid with setting it up about three years ago.  I had always planned to get new ones when it was getting closer to cert time.  Albeit, I didn't realize they were shot, I bought them of a mate.

I drove it around the back yard at work and it felt like the front was on bumpstops, so i'm going with the fronts being the culprit.  At least until I change them and see if it fixes the issue.

Yeah, $400 seemed excessive, but I'm actually happy to get it done now.  Because of McPherson strut, they have to be the coilovers out, pull the spring off, then put it back in to do it, then obviously refit the spring afterwards.

With Neil at Modified Vehicle Certification Centre, when I spoke to him, he quoted me $500 for cert, and $400 for bump steer check, and actually sounded like he was interested in my car and was keen to do it.  Earlier this week, I spoke to Noel at Nostalgia Motors (after some recommendations), and he quoted me $700-$800 for cert, plus $200 for bump steer check, but he did not seem interested. At all. I also got the impression he'd rather have me go somewhere else.