Radiator sizing. need an expert

Muncie

After buying the injected holden v8 to drop in my triumph I got the radiator from the donor as well at 750mm wide no way in hell will it fit. Basically the triumph rad is the biggest I can fit between chassis rails.however the original I have is in excellent condition if I get the outlets changed to suit would it cool the v8 with a good shroud and decent fans?

Yup it would half the reason I went for the holden engine is I drove a stag with a dirty old 253 in it years ago. went great handled well but ran an original radiator and it cooked if it wasn't moving. That car probably had a blocked radiator though. Stag and mark 2 are so so similar every bolts in same place just nose is a bit shorter.

Strange you asking about an upgrade for a Triumph radiator.

The 4 core ones are sought after by the Hot Roders for the Popular's and Angila's when they put V8s in them.

They kept the old all cast iron 350's etc cool and fitted in the very restricted area available in these very small cars.

Rather than a shroud look into a couple of front mount electric fans, they don't rob power like a crank driven one and keep what is a small engine bay free of crap that can affect air flow and there for heat build up.

Might just get original cleaned and tanks altered to see how it goes. Triumph motor only over heated once from a jammed thermostat. And 2 big electric fans will be going on too whatever I do.

Electric fans are useless unless you run a good shroud. S14's and S15's are a good example, the factory viscous fan in them is 100x better than 90% of aftermarket electric setups.

Noted but fitting a mechanical fan although being suited better there just isn't room. I'm hoping I can get fans on engine side of radiator but that's quite a tight fit as it is. I do intend to run a shroud so air gets pulled over whole core instead of the area right in front of fans.

Electric fans are useless unless you run a good shroud. S14's and S15's are a good example, the factory viscous fan in them is 100x better than 90% of aftermarket electric setups.

that's not strictly true. as long as the fan cant "short circuit" air flow from a gap between the fan edge and the radiator they work very well.  it could be argued that without a shroud you get more flow in an open road/track type situation and as long as your fan is touching...........

ummm, let me see if i can find a picture because ill need to write a novel to get across what im going on about.

one moment caller.......

ok so i couldn't find shit.

anywho what i was talking about only applies to puller fans on the back of the radiator. 

basically air, like any fluid, will take the path of least resistance. air being "pulled" into a fan doesn't flow in a straight line. the pressure zones are like a mushroom around the "pull" side of the fan.

bell mouths are that shape because the same principle applies, "pulling" air down a tube is the same deal. it doesn't flow into the pipe in a straight line.

so, if there is a gap between the fan housing and the radiator the fan will pull air through this gap (which is in the highest pressure differential zone) rather than through the radiator. fill the gap and your fan efficiency increases. simple.

sorry for the novel/how to suck eggs but some one might learn from this. 

• Like 2

the thick alloy ones do work pretty darn well, also being thicker they increase the fluid volume in the system which can help a little too in some situations. I am a fan of the generic Rx2/3/4 type ones, have had success on two of my cars with these.

this said if the factory triumph core is mint, and you can get the outlets changed around to suit easily enough then you don't have to berk around with mounts and all that garbage which will save a bunch of headaches

that's not strictly true. as long as the fan cant "short circuit" air flow from a gap between the fan edge and the radiator they work very well.  it could be argued that without a shroud you get more flow in an open road/track type situation and as long as your fan is touching...........

ummm, let me see if i can find a picture because ill need to write a novel to get across what im going on about.

one moment caller.......

Yeah, this is true.  I'm only talking from my own experience I guess. I ran 2x 12" fans with custom sheet alloy shroud (that was sealed around the edges correctly) and found the factory viscous to be much more effective (in my specific application.)  The factory shroud was also much, much better design than the sheet one I made up also.

Noted but fitting a mechanical fan although being suited better there just isn't room. I'm hoping I can get fans on engine side of radiator but that's quite a tight fit as it is. I do intend to run a shroud so air gets pulled over whole core instead of the area right in front of fans.

From what I understand, fans that pull air through are more effective than ones that push air through, but I guess that is also a matter of how much care you take when it is being set up.  Anything is still better than nothing.

on the subject of fans. They are really only required when your sitting still / driving slowly. I use electric fans on plenty of nissans and have never had cooling problems. biggest problems i come across are huge ass intercoolers blocking the bottom air way lol. The fan must draw its air from somewhere and if its path is restricted it will not move the air instead it will just spin and make noise and sound like a fan. the problem with fans on the front pushing air is alot of the time when in motion and running the fan cannot move enough air as whats being offered up so what happens is it becomes more of a blockage insted of a fan your radiator is still being supplied are at a rate that is suited to not moving and no load but once the air speed increases it finds another way around because the fans are not moving enough air to keep up so all of a sudden your 100km/h air supply to the radiator becomes nothing more than the same amount of air the fan can produce whilst you are not in motion etc.  

Oh yeah so that guy at the drags who had that Renault, which looked to be awesomely engineered in every possible way.

He had a radiator fan shroud, that covered the whole radiator. But the fan was mounted to one side...

Then on the other side there were two square flaps hinged on the back face of the radiator shroud.

So this meant that when the fan was blowing, it would pull the flaps shut and seal the shroud so all of the air would come through the radiator, and out the fan.

But when there is more pressure inside the shroud than behind it, (More air is flowing through the radiator than the fan can deal with) the flaps open to let the air bypass the fan.

Bloody good idea!

Although his radiator was tipped over a bit, so not sure it would work as well for one that's standing upright.