Last little bit of clearance. And traction control

crownin round

In an engine conversion with an engine that is a very tight fit what are some ways to make a little space. Is there any significant problem with mounting a engine on a slight angle or offset ie 5-10 degrees or 5 mm sort of thing? Also with transmissions with traction control could you put an inline swith for the controlling wire to diasable it?

A small angle or offset is fine, some factory installs are on the piss. Just bear in mind where the far end of the gearbox ends up and how it effects driveshaft angles.

Traction control usually works on the engine management side if things not the transmission. It depends how it works as to how it can be switched on or off. Usually its input condition based not a single signal.

E.g combination of throttle position and vehicle speed. But the odd car you can just pull a fuse or something.

Some cars have the engine offset way more than 5mm. Is it the old barracuda or challenger that had the motor way o er to clear the steering shaft?

The question is to solve that issue but not those

I imagine things like oil pick up location and drains would be designed to suit though?

5 degrees is negliable maybe 5m gap at top

012ham.jpg

if only beating the steering shaft would work.

Some cars have the engine offset way more than 5mm. Is it the old barracuda or challenger that had the motor way o er to clear the steering shaft?

valiant engines are on the piss by a considerable amount, in the wrong direction, ie closer to the steering box. chrysler australia used the US spec floorpan which had the engine offset to clear the box.

one of the reasons i put a turbo on mine, having it on the passenger side visually balances it out. originally i was going to put a blower on but the fact it would stick out the bonnet not in the middle would have bugged me

• Like 1

valiant engines are on the piss by a considerable amount, in the wrong direction, ie closer to the steering box. chrysler australia used the US spec floorpan which had the engine offset to clear the box.

one of the reasons i put a turbo on mine, having it on the passenger side visually balances it out. originally i was going to put a blower on but the fact it would stick out the bonnet not in the middle would have bugged me

So how's your OCD coming along Clint?

Put the motor all together, exhaust and intake manifolds, sump, alternator oil filter, starter motor etc. Lower it into the hole and start moving it around until it all fits. The centreline of the crank needs to be as close as it can to the original but if the motor is a bit offset or on a lean it won't be a problem, with in reason.

I think its more a question of what is your desired engine. as some manufactures use a second throttle plate as a traction control and some use abs and some use actuators to lift the pedal itself ,  so how to disable them really depends on the particular system you have.

and as said put the engine together and plonk it in the hole. try put as much of it together as possible then decide if its easier to cut the sump to clear or lower the sub frame etc. . . many different ways you can make things fit, all depends on what you can do, like if you don't have a welder then cutting up the sump isn't going to be easy so spacing out the sub frame might be something you can achieve your self

all sorts of good ideas on the forum, many different ways to skin a cat

I think its more a question of what is your desired engine. as some manufactures use a second throttle plate as a traction control and some use abs and some use actuators to lift the pedal itself ,  so how to disable them really depends on the particular system you have.

and as said put the engine together and plonk it in the hole. try put as much of it together as possible then decide if its easier to cut the sump to clear or lower the sub frame etc. . . many different ways you can make things fit, all depends on what you can do, like if you don't have a welder then cutting up the sump isn't going to be easy so spacing out the sub frame might be something you can achieve your self

all sorts of good ideas on the forum, many different ways to skin a cat

yeh i read into it this engine and its a second plate so will likely just remove said plate

as all answered

Yeah 1uz's in crowns are off set factory

What motor in what are we talking about here?

A lot of traction control systems use abs inputs to decipher if the wheels are spinning yo!

Perfer not to say yet incase it doesn't happen maybe leave it as a suprise until an its happenning for sure.

And i looked into this engine did come leaned in some vechicles standard. so it should be sweet.

it doesnt appear to have been mentioned, but you are supposed to maintain parralellness of the universal joints, ie you should shuffle the motor laterally not put it on an angle

however, you dont seem to be able to get enough out of square due to the constaint of the tunnell that it ever becomes an issue in real life, lots of people talk about it, and then on the same discussion good practice says that you need a fraction to keep the rollers in the cross rolling and stop them getting flats

in summary, do what you please.

• Like 2