VG's Adventure Wagon / Tercel SR5

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeh, ground welds off with angle grinder, which was tricky as the bearings were so close to the welds, but i'm a master angle grindsmen, so was all good. Re welded the bearing doofer back on, with tinfoil to keep slag out of bearings, puhuhuhuhu.

IMG_20140528_152017829_HDR_zpsee0a187b.j

The CV bands were to short for the tool, so had to improvise.

IMG_20140531_155351443_zps21ecd7fa.jpg

Lovely.

IMG_20140531_160723914_zps652bb718.jpg

Then I pulled more crap off here.

IMG_20140531_120604841_zpscd6309a0.jpg

Racks a bit worn, mud and water inside the boots didn't help much either. Cleaned it all up, greased it, and applied new rack boots.

IMG_20140531_120622737_zps63914925.jpg

Fitted new bushes and lower ball joints. Tight.

IMG_20140602_131940866_zps60b082e6.jpg

Then machined up the disc's, and slapped in new pads.

IMG_20140602_164705476_zpsa6dcb6ad.jpg

I then filled up the diff, slapped all the back seats and belts back in, along with a few other bits, and drove it 260km. It drives quite nicely amazingly.

Things still to do include, but are not limited to,

Rust

Exhaust

Rust

Timing and a tune up

Rust

Sort out the lights

Rust

Get the heater core or tap working

Rust

Fix or buy drivers side window reg

Rust

Then hopefully start applying try hard 4wd accessories, like roof baskets, spot lights and bull bars

Then fix a bit more rust

Regards, VG.

Forgot to mention, there's also a bit of rust to fix.

Anyways, went out for a bit of a hoon, far less clanking sounds, and seems to be a bit better off road with its new found articulation (its still rubbish, ha.) Still rocking 35psi in the tyres, I should try dropping them rite down to be honest. 

IMG_20140609_102108582_HDR_zpse7457a27.j

IMG_20140609_102149945_HDR_zpsebe4a2db.j

I went to the exhaust shop, and it was closed, so I then went to the local wrecker and wondered around for an hour, trying to find trinkets. I came away with a ratty old steel bull bar, that I will cut up, and use it to protect the bumper, as I keep slamming it into the ground.

IMG_20140609_115338676_HDR_zpsb2e722c3.j

I also got these friggen huuuuggggggeeeeeee spot lights, which I will either slap on the bull bar, or maybe even make a light bar for the front of the roof.

IMG_20140609_115313774_zps14839279.jpg

Hopefully they are bright as buggery/they are probably fog lamps and dull as shit/i'll put mega bulbs in them.

Regards, VG.

• Like 1

15psi will be sweet, it will shimmy around a bit but you'll get used to it.

If you are slamming the bumper, I would be more inclined to take it off and use yo tubes to make something tight into the body. You don't want to limit your approach angle.

• Like 3

15psi will be sweet, it will shimmy around a bit but you'll get used to it.

If you are slamming the bumper, I would be more inclined to take it off and use yo tubes to make something tight into the body. You don't want to limit your approach angle.

Funny you should say that, while I was out I dropped the PSI's to 15, hardly notice the difference on the road (maybe because its so light?) but by golly dose it make a difference off road, waaaaaay more grip, was quite surprised.

Hadn't really thought about removing the bumper tbh, hmmmmmm. Will talk to my friendly wof officer and see what the go is.

Fyi those lights are bright as i had a set i wish i hadnt sold

These ones ain't too bad, only have 55 watt bulbs in them atm, will slap some decent ones in there later.

light bar with handle so you can swivel them by reaching up out the window. also vote for de-bumber and use the bars

add subframe drop and onboard air and you're away laughing mayte

Far, that's getting a bit flash ain't it.

yeah do this;

bitch

DSCN9140.jpg

He didn't think about the placement of his indicators very well did he. Yeh, may be an option.

I slapped the lights onto one of the old roof racks, looks quite ridiculous.

IMG_20140609_135812036_zpsb0325a5c.jpg

• Like 2

I just went to a local workshop to price up having the exhaust fixed, and the owners eyes lit up when he spied the old girl. Turns out he used to have one and loved it. Not only that, if you were a high roller in forestry back in the day, Tercels are what you rolled in, so he had done quite a bit of work on them in the past. Had quite a yarn we did, and then he dug out a couple of manuals and gifted them to me. Turns out the gear bags are quite a mission to rebuild.

IMG_20140612_151216979_zps7aac1ca1.jpg

Chur cuz.

• Like 7