[Fabrication thread] Ideas for towbar modification

Roman

Hey people,

We've got this towbar mount for my Dad's truck, that bolts onto the back of the chassis.

However the problem is, that it's between 3-6mm too narrow to fit over chassis, as it was made for a *slightly* different model of truck. Bugger!

We've been thinking about what might be the best thing to do, to get it modified to fit.

In my mind the best option would be to cut the SHS on one side, and FWAR an oversized square piece of plate that's the thickness of how much it needs to widen by.

However, it would offset the towbar position ever so slightly (meh) and perhaps look too modified/rangy to pass inspection (more of a problem)

I guess it could square/butt weld an undersized plate in the same way so it looks more discrete, but it wouldnt be as strong.

The rest of it is gussetted up pretty good, so dont see too many other easy options.

What say you, talented fabricators of oldschool!? Also, anyone keen on a job for a few boxes of beer? lol.

sv2cu4xn.hr0.jpg

I'd use the existing end plates as spacers, cut 2 new identical end plates. The existing end plates will need cutting down in size to allow the new plates when fixed to slide correctly into place.

The new end plates, as well as being seam welded around the edge should have a couple of holes drilled in them to allow the centre areas to be welded to the existing plates also for maximum strengt.

I'm self taught so please don't just take my word for it, but thats the way I would solve it.

• Like 1

Widen it half the amount each side of the tow hitch mount and add an internal plug or external plates over the top.

Or

Cut off tow hitch widen in the middle and re weld. Adding internal plug and external plates would be strong and look less suspect than 2 either side.

Cut both ends off.

Weld prep the box with gussets still attached.

Bolt side plates to the truck.

Offer up the box and center / level it up.

Nice little root run will fill the 3mm gap at each end.

Capping run to finish.

Paint

Done.

How heavy the truck? Might need a tow connection cert....

Don't cut it in the middle that's rookie as shit.

• Like 4

Cut both ends off.

Weld prep the box with gussets still attached.

Bolt side plates to the truck.

Offer up the box and center / level it up.

Nice little root run will fill the 3mm gap at each end.

Capping run to finish.

Paint

Done.

How heavy the truck? Might need a tow connection cert....

Don't cut it in the middle that's rookie as shit.

this.

I'm sure i posted in here last night :/

Cut out old box section and replace with correct length box section is what i would likely plan on doing. I wouldnt actually do that as thats too much work and would find a easier work around, but if you want to do it properly, I have some left over 50x50x6 from the trailer at home, and a grunty welder that you're welcome to use...

Replace the truck chassis with the correct width to suit the towbar.

Or one of the above options. Does the chassis only touch at the top where the bolt holes are? If so, i'd bend it to suit, 3mm is tiny really, so it shouldn't need much tweaking at all. A lot easier than cutting and welding things.

• 2 weeks later...

for 1.5mm to 3mm a side heat with blue crescent till bright amber whilst clamped in a press ,

then pump it down nice and level with a block say 10mm off your clamping block.

should be able to get a nice little side shift in the plate whilst keeping it parallel easily with correct setup.

ie that is run a bit of 1.5-3mm plate on the underside of the material  where it is clamped leaving a 3mm gap for the steel to be shifted