link g1 v4 or microtech

Mitch.W

so yes i know alot of people dont like microtechs but yeah im balling on a buget, 

im just gathering your opinions its going on a single turbo 1ggte. 

The link will be an old crappy g1 v4 if anything unless anyone has something better for around $600

or one of them package mircotechs that you wire up yourself. 

so im seeking anyone that has had experience with microtechs?

im not looking for huuuuuuuge power and pushing my engine to its full limits so yeah

TALK TO ME!

Nothing wrong with a Link G1.  If you've got one, then use it.  They are PC Link compatible (V4 onwards) so that's a bonus.

Microtechs were okay from what I recall of them ~10 years ago.  Lot of rotary guys used them.  Seemed user friendly for programming with the hand tuner from the little I had to do with them, but not sure if the early ones were PC tunable?  I have no idea about the newer ones.

Big thing would be to compare what features you want to use, i.e. sequential injection vs. batch, wasted spark, etc.  For getting a turbo 1G going well then you're not into needing a high spec ECU.

Also have a look at Megasquirt if you want features on a budget.

lol mitch, i have been looking at the microtechs on trademe also. $600 is a good price for an aftermarket ecu that doesn everything you want out of it.
problem is they have to be sent to aus to get reconfigured(if its not configured right)

Plus is that aussie's on toymods use them on 1ggte's all the time and have base map's coming out their ears.
food for thought. Considered megasquirt?

^ this is an option worth consideration, esp if you are keen to be very hands on and road tune yourself.

ive only heard bad things about microtechs, things like having to send them back to the supplier for a retune and not actually being very tuneable. but maybe that was just the old ones, or just the ones for rotarys? I dont know, maybe someone can elaborate a bit more.

the old links certainly do work quite alright and most dyno places around are quite familiar with them at least.

lol mitch, i have been looking at the microtechs on trademe also. $600 is a good price for an aftermarket ecu that doesn everything you want out of it.

problem is they have to be sent to aus to get reconfigured(if its not configured right)

Plus is that aussie's on toymods use them on 1ggte's all the time and have base map's coming out their ears.

food for thought. Considered megasquirt?

yeah ive been looking at everything! getting very close to wiring it up for the 2nd time haha.  

trying to get engine side done cheaplyish (minus the tial and garret parts hah) so i can get rear suspension and another pair of wheels

You can buy them online premade and tested. There is alot of people online willing to listen and help you with the tuning, the new ones have autotune if you have a wideband.. You just have to listen to the right advice from the right people and research everything before doing anything i think. Its an option( and a likely one) for me a bit further down the track.

Someone else can elaborate on them. i know nothing tbh, thats^ just what i know/think.

I run an old ms1 v2.2 and it's sweet had issues but all my own fault lol number one thing is grounding all needs to be what the online tutorials say if you cut corners you get issues. My car runs awesome starts good drives sweet cold which seems to be the hardest thing to do with after market ecus.

Microsquit?

never heard of them/just quickly gooogled them they look decent. are they kind of like the megasquirt?

You can buy them online premade and tested. There is alot of people online willing to listen and help you with the tuning, the new ones have autotune if you have a wideband.. You just have to listen to the right advice from the right people and research everything before doing anything i think. Its an option( and a likely one) for me a bit further down the track.

Someone else can elaborate on them. i know nothing tbh, thats^ just what i know/think.

yeah was looking at that, its about $100 more.

the autotune feature looks very easy to use. 

yeah im good mates with afew very good tuners from palmy so that should be some good help with the tuning side. 

megasquirt is looking very good at the moment...

I think you would be disappointed with a G1 (think poor idle, and lack of smooth driveability) you don't need a flashy ecu to make good HP but you need something with reasonable resolution to be well mannered.. a MS would be a better option over an early link..

I paid $950 for a second hand un-used G4 atom so there are deals to be had out there..

This explains it better than I would, but basically it is a condensed version of Megasquirt 2. With the ability to only drive high z injectors and without the peak and hold necessary to make big low z injectors play nice. It also doesn't have a MAP sensor built in so you have to use an external one, again not a problem but just something to think about.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/microsquirt-engine-management-system-839-wiring-harness-p-509.html

They are a much nicer piece of kit that a megasquirt physically, but only you will be able to decide if it will fit your parameters.

Hi,

I'm running an LT10S Microtech in the RX7 and it's performing well enough to net me over 300wkw.

No you don't have to send the LT10S back to oz for a re tune, although you may do if you want to change what engine it's configured for (The same goes for the older link ECUs IIRC)

The only bad point I've found with the microtech is that not many people know how to tune them properly to get the most out of their features.

Going back though, if I had the choice between LT10S and Link G4 Extreme, I would have gone Link, worth it for the extra $$.

/LINGOUT

Microtech's aftersales was piss poor when I had to deal with them (tried to get a MTX-8 reconfigured for a different engine configuration a few years back), Link on the other hand were an absolute pleasure to deal with.

The G1 is rudimentary by today's standards but in V5 form it does everything I need it to do. Never had any problems with idle, yes the map could do with more resolution and the cold start functions are crap but that's just minor griping for the sake of a ~$350 ECU (at the time).

Those old Links do still have some life left in them - you can still upgrade the V4 to V5 with the latest supported firmware.

Disregard both and just get a Mega/Microsquirt.

• Like 1

I'm going to throw my 2c in here for getting a microsquirt. It'll run your engine just fine with either dizzy or you can make some small mods to run wasted spark. Two injector outputs so you can run batch fire injection.

Old Links can piss right off in my books. They are super primitive by todays standards. A good example is dwell settings. They literally only have two options - short dwell or long dwell. Even with megasquirt you have configurable dwell for battery voltage compensation, etc. Cold starting seems to be a joke with early Links too.

• Like 1

best question is "who is going to tune it"

ie no point buying cheap/what you can afford then finding out its not good for your application OR you wan launch control/bad flames outs you just cant tune with your ecu

ie go see Keith (or whoever) and keep them happy rather than making their job harder

seen so many projects continually changing things then finding the ecu is no good and "shoulda just gone with a Link in the first place"

Squirts are fin : I'm not repping links at all : just talk to your tuner :P

mate here in dvke fiddles with them fine and he gets advice from Kieth who could also I assume make a squrt go fine WITH the bonus of an actual dyno to see if its doing what it should AND not your average Joe`tuner butt-dyno