Semi Slicks, whats chur, and whats dumb.

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can spend $800, then get the Nittos through Mark at manawatu toyota. They are by all accounts better then the Achilles.

I can guarantee you will lose traction with the Achilles, as I do in my corolla. They are fine for trackdays but I am sure you will find their limit pretty soon with your motor

I'm not saying they are shit, they are great value for the money, but if you have $800 to spend, buy the best you can afford

I just prefer semis as they are more of an all weather tyre, and they have good grip from the word go. I'll be doing mostly gymkhana spec shit, with a little dual sprinitng, and the odd hill climb.

I just read a pile of reviews, some of which put the R888 directly up against the NT01, and everyone liked the NT01 more, so cant really go wrong with them by the sounds.

pm user madmike : he had 15"s for his Legacy on TM recently

he has 2x sets of 5 brand new Silver stone FTZ Slicks (NOT semis soz)

195 50 15"s

medium compound, actually ask Keltik about them, he may recall what he was asking for them

cum-hoe V700's are a good allrounder, were $225 each (unsure now) can be had second hand easy enough as Pre-65 and other classes use them

not as good as A-008Rs, but not much was.

with limited warm up , slicks would not be advisable. furthermore, they are not legal for motorkhana/autocross or sealed hillclimbs.

They aren't bad, I suspect they have a whole load of stock they are trying to clear, iirc they were used as a control tyre in some racing series. Either that or they just are that cheap (they are from Indonesia afterall lol)

get the Nitto's

The arc hillies 123 man got back to me, for 195 50 15's they are only $120ea delivered, KRICKEY THATS CHEAP. I do wonder how good a semi slick, thats as cheap as a supercat, would be, ha.

Who is that from? Shareable? That is hella cheap/awesome. Personally I rate them but my car is slow and I suck at driving so my goals are a lot different than what yours seem to be. They are a small step up from a road tire I have found, but I just buy them cos they are cheap for what I need :) 

I did some trackdays and a few rounds of dual sprints on 123s on civic. They definitely stick better than a road tyre and worked well until about 7-8 laps in when they would get slippery, much like the road tyres I've done similar events with. I got mine for 120ea also, can't really beat that price eh!

I imagine maybe the nittos would last better in longer sessions, but if you are only doing sprints then either will be good.

I want to know whats the best for around $800, I know R888's are the best pretty much, but cant afford to spend $1200 on tyres.

wouldn't rate 888's as the "best" i have had a great run out of the older dunlop 02g's and also some 03g's but i do believe the 888's are great value for the monies, probably 90% performance of the dunlops for 60% of the price.. I have a set for my mazda.

I tossed up between the 888's and the cheaper nitto's and the look of the pattern for the nitto's put me off as they don't look as though they would have much wet weather capability..

Not sure you would ever be all that happy with the 123's / you'd probably just end upgrading to 888's anyway??  don't buy slicks unless you are doing circuit stuff only in the summer time..

TL:DR

Save some more monies buy 888's - anything under $300 Per tyre is not outrageous for semi's

Couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread but here is my knowledge on semis

Central muscle cars used to run Kumhos (victoracer v700 I think) and now they run Hankook Ventus RSS z214 and have apparently gained over a second a lap at manfiled across the board. (just what I've been told)

I can break into the 15's at manfield in the muzzy on a nearly fucked set of victoracers. We are going to upgrade to the Hankooks. I'm excited.

^ all my knowledge.

Just in case anyone is interested, the Toyo R888 and the Nitto NT-01 are a very similar compound rubber.  (Half the Toyo R888's now are made in the US by Nitto.)

Toyo's however have the advantage of being able to flip them on the rim due to being directional.  This is especially good if you only go to one track that is the same direction all the time.  (I.e. Taupo is always anti-clockwise, and Pukekohe is clockwise.)  You will wear one side a lot more than the other so flipping them on the rim will mean they will last a lot longer.

Own experience; I used Kumho V700's (victoracers) in a 225/45R17 on my old S14.  They were pretty good.  I found the 225/50R16 Toyo R888's to be a lot better and a lot more predictable when on the track.

furthermore, they are not legal for motorkhana/autocross or sealed hillclimbs.

Toyo's however have the advantage of being able to flip them on the rim due to being directional.

These are very good points. I didnt think about not being able to swap them side to side (the nitto's), as I mainly do taupo, which owns one tyre in particular on my car, so that may be a pain in the ass.

Thanks for all the info chaps.