Changing from a 6 bolt 7a crank to the 8 bolt 4age crank, how to?

ae85 fiend

Hi guys,

so I was reading online about this guys 20v 7agte in a ke70 race car, it produces around the 500hp mark. He says that he uses the 7afe crank in the bottom half of his 7age, but has used the end of the 4age 8 bolt crank ( supposedly a whooooole lot stronger ) I was just wondering how you'd go about doing this?

Would it be worth it in the end? Im only after the 350HP mark in my ae85 with my 20v 7agTe...

This way your able to use the 4age/ 4agze clutch and stuff which is easier to find/ replace/ save a few $$$.

Any advice would be awesome.

Cheers

Yeap bugger welding up the holes and drilling.

Spigot size is prob different too, keep that in mind.

Prob easier / safest to use 7a fly that's re drilled to suit the 4age clutch cover if that's important ( or weld and redrill the 4age clutch to suit 7a fly)

Dozens of options all easier and more cost effective than crank modifications.

Just IMO.

• Like 1

Yeah you definitely need dowels in the crank, the builder of my engine, Bazz & Matt Dunn from toyspeed all had flywheel failures.

From my experience, I wouldn't bother with the 7a block. Mine netted 222kw atw with a TD05 from an Evo 4 @ 20psi. It had a pretty decent clutch but started to fry it after 2 or 3 power runs on the dyno. It's far easier and cheaper to get sweet clutches/flywheels for the 8 bolt pattern. I'd be very suprised if the 200cc makes it drive that much better or make that much more power etc...

Simple solution = buy this and improve on it - you will be much better off.

http://oldschool.co....-bell-etc-chch/

I probably would have if this came up 6 or so months back lol, but I've pretty much just finished buying everything I need for my 7age conversion - just needing forged conrods and some sort of ECU to run it... But yeah, don't have the cash/ time to change engine for the 4th time for it haha.

There was a chap in aus who went to the trouble of making grubscrew like caps to fill the 6 bolt holes of the 7a crank and then had it redrilled to 4a 8 bolt. remember seeing pics and it looked really well done and very expensive.

best option - have a flywheel made.

How was the 7AGE done in your AW Ben?