Ammeter flattening my battery?

mark105

I need a second opinion on this. There is some thing my car which is draining the battery and i suspect it might be the amp gauge as the entire car runs through it. It also seems to have started happening about the time the amp gauge got stuck on -15 amps constant. Now i think it has blown the gauge as it used to return to 0 if i fully unplugged it but now it is just stuck on -15 amps no matter what i do with it. I am mostly familiar with how an amp gauge works but i am unsure if it is capable of flattening a battery or not. Any thoughts on this would be helpful?

not likely unless it has shorted to earth as current flows through the gauge not to the gauge.

Check that it hasnt blown open circut and your generator / alternator is charging the battery as the charging current runs from the generator through the ammeter to the battery

yeah exactly which is why i think it is broken as it reads -15 amps all the time even when unplugged. So thats why i am wondering if it is acting as a resistor and loading the circuit maybe as there is stuff using power all the time through it like the alarm and battery memory for the head unit. As it feeds the whole car i dont think it has gone open circuit as if it had nothing would be running any more.

The power feed should run through a built in current shunt, and then the ammeter gauge taps off that. There shouldn't be an earth connection anywhere in it for it to drain.

What I am thinking is the ammeter coil has shorted out somehow. This will cause it to swing right to the max, but then I would have thought it'd burn the coil out straight away too.. They're pretty tiny.

ahh yup guess its not that then. next guess is going to be with the newly found electrics on this vehicle im going to guess the alternator is now to small and just not getting the battery back up to max charge. still running factory one and have added EFI, alarm, sounds and so on hah. considering when i turn my high beams on my head unit powers off i think this could be a valid starting point.

The ECU shouldn't be cranking that much, the injectors would be around 15 watts a piece max, but they only run a tiny duty cycle so overall the power consumption should be pretty minimal.

The ignition system is probably taxing the battery a bit more than the original though

Still the factory alternator should be anywhere from 40-60amp which should happily keep up if your battery is healthy as well. As said see what your current draw is with the car off, check voltage over the battery when cars on. Start with the basics 105

Have you connected a multimeter between the battery terminal and cable to see whether there is any current draw / how much? Do that then disconnect the ammeter and other accessories that are suspicious of until you find the current draw disappears / drops significantly.