Intercooler piping question

sgtjackass

Basically I want to be schooled on intercooler piping.

HP levels are 250 ponies.

What size piping is right and what are the consequences of going too small/large

How much restriction does joiners, welds and bends cause.

Is there a 'right way' to build intercooler piping systems.

Cheers

I don't agree. go 3" tube because it looks boss. your pipe work needs to look logical but don't stress about tube length or capacity. the volume of the pipe work is fuck all compared to the volume of air that the engine is consuming.

and nothing wrong with silicone joiners. i know pplz who have spent heaps getting tube welded for little reason.

quality joiners ( and expansion/ contraction joiners where needed) with quality clamps will cause no probs without heaps of boost. if you need to- swage lines or dots into tube ends

see my tech vid thread for info on making a swaging tool cheaply

lol 3" really? good luck with that

adding an extra 2.3Liters of air to compress

also good ducting on your FMIC/whatever IC gets good gains : running without a bumer for example the air will take easiest route and go around the IC rather than thru it

• Like 1

lol 3" really? good luck with that

adding an extra 2.3Liters of air to compress

also good ducting on your FMIC/whatever IC gets good gains : running without a bumer for example the air will take easiest route and go around the IC rather than thru it

what part needs luck?

2.3 litres is nothing for an engine that's consuming thousands of litres per min.

agree that you will not gain anything but as I said it looks sweet (fake oil cooler anyone?)

701BA736-D52A-4822-85DD-F775D3B9A696-17978-00001552AD2091AB.jpg

bigger motor but that 3" pipe work cost me sfa and worked well. no welds

what part needs luck?

2.3 litres is nothing for an engine that's consuming thousands of litres per min.

agree that you will not gain anything but as I said it looks sweet (fake oil cooler anyone?)

[car]

bigger motor but that 3" pipe work cost me sfa and worked well. no welds

Where'd ya get the piping and stuff from?

Tube bending in east tamaki for the bends,

Use a crox tool or swage to roll a bead on the end of the pipe,

never over tighten T bolt clamps they distort the alloy,

With a good rolled bead on the end of the pipe normal hose clamps work perfectly fine

I always try to weld all but 1 join each side, less silicon means less leaks, less potiential hoses to blow off, to split etc,

having a join means the pipe work will come apart and make installation easier. Some customers dont want any joins, and can be a nightmare to get it in and out,

Alloy is the best to dissipate heat, it doesnt take much external air flow to cool alloy pipe

Stainless heat soaks and takes ages to cool down,

3" is huge, i only use 3" on 2jz's, big 13b turbos etc,

2.5 on the majority of stuff is ok, did have a customer mention it resulted in slower boost response with 2.5" piping on an evo 3,

21/4 bit of an awkard size to buy in alloy

2" often only used from to match turbo outlet thru to intercooler

Jamex in penrose have a good range of bends, as do scarles, and dsr,

Alert motorsport do samco, but very expensive compared to the generic stuff, the quality of samco is definately a lot better thou

Cheers for the replies. Rather than going custom, i have ordered a universal kit from redline. $150 gets me 2x 90, 2x45, 2x180 and 2 strait alloy pieces, 8 straight joiners and 16 t clips. Cant really go wrong. The plan is to one-piece as much of it as I can with a local guy doing the TIG and beading. Wish me luck!

I will have to put a 3" holesaw through a support panel, but it is only tacked on from factory so shouldn't be an issue. Pics to come