danger's Hilux

danger

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bang a turbo and manifold off a 2.4 smurf on it

would make it go much better especially with an intercooler and boost tap.

I used to run this in slow old toyotas and it made them go alot better after a while

33072.jpg

i too swear by this shit, run it in all my diesels.

Started having a play.

p1040073x.jpg

This thing is a mixture of rough as guts and well done. Weird.

Rear shock mounts and exhaust etc are all good. Note the bent spare wheel holder, may cut this out and repair or just weld in some box section instead. Weird they didn't bother fitting breathers. Have stuff ready to make some for it next.

p1040072y.jpg

Fuck buying longer front shocks though. That's for chumps! Also note relocated brake line mounts.

p1040069v.jpg

Shortened steering and torque rods. Note broken main leaf on LHS

p1040070e.jpg

Bolts are for losers...

p1040071jj.jpg

Anyway, I own it now so onwards we go.

Will order new ranchos for the front end this week. New rear leaf pack turned up to replace the broken pack on the front LHS.

Will look to rebuild front end this fortnight. Just new axle seals, brake pads, oil, breathers, grease as well as welding up some sort of armour on the pumpkin. Will then look at new tie rod ends to make an adjustable steering rod, try making an adjustable torque rod, some wedges to fix diff angle and a new steering damper.

Piece by piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, should help pinion angle and make the leaves sit better as well as a little raise.

Also needed some tow points so yeah.

Keen for british racing green with black trim tbh.

Paint is hardly a priority though. This is gonna sit outside and get mechanically sorted before I worry about the colour

Next up will be making the new spring perch for LF leaf to diff. I didn't know that L and R front leaves are different height, the rears have been put in without a spacer which is why the spring perch fucked out. Might make some vee blocks up to measure and position it.

Then box off the rear of the chassis at the rear shackle mounts, make new gearbox crossmember, maybe look into crossover steering then get some money and buy a tube bender