Electric Radiator Fans

Yowzer

Righty, so I'm after a couple of 10in radiator fans for my wagon. The thing is, there seems to be so many different brands of what look like identical units, yet prices seem to fluctuate between $40-$150. What's the deal? I see some have a higher airflow than others (ranging from 850cfm up to 1600 for a beefy unit) but is there any reason to go for something like a Davies Craig unit over one of these random no brand units?

2nd question, how do I get an idea of what sort of aiflow I need, aside from trial and error?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In what way exactly? Unreliable or poor airflow? The Supercheap job I bought a few years ago seems to work pretty decent, but then it's on a car I hardly ever drive.

I have considered fitting a factory unit from another car, but the mounting is a bit more difficult than the aftermarket jobs. Perhaps I should be a bit less lazy.

cheap ones i've had didn't seem that well balanced, and yeh didn't seem to flow that much. just put some mondeo twins on my ae85. move heaps or air. there is a guy on trademe selling ford fans, has some measurements listed. got the mondeo ones for $60

http://www.fpp.co.nz/products/searchproducts.aspx

If any of these are what you need PM me for an OS price.

What details have ya got for the DE18910 - 10" Dyno-Cool Electric Fan? They look like what I'm after

http://www.fpp.co.nz/data/catalogues/deralecatalog.pdf

All the specs and sizes are in the attached catalogue. If you need anything from FPP.co.nz mention you saw it on the Oldschool website or that Andrew from Penrose branch sent you there. Let me know how you go or PM me if you can find a better price on any stocked items (in NZ) and I will look at it further.

cheap ones i've had didn't seem that well balanced, and yeh didn't seem to flow that much. just put some mondeo twins on my ae85. move heaps or air. there is a guy on trademe selling ford fans, has some measurements listed. got the mondeo ones for $60

You got a picture?

slipway boys use them. touch wide for my radiator

photo0433s.jpg

Don't touch cheap fans like supercheap items. I have even had kenlowe fans in the past and they still don't have as much suck/grunt as good oem items. I bought two fans off an Audi v6 in the uk for $20 and only using one on the viva. Shit it's got some grunt. Plus they come with nicely made cowlings which were easy to chop in two and separate the fans.

181020091115.jpg

(It's in a different place to this now since I removed xflow engine)..

181020091118.jpg

my 2c is similar to others, old valiant had a 4 core copper radiator with a fan off a nissan maxima, could do burnouts all day if required. current one has a alloy radiator with an expensive davies craig 16'' fan and its borderline keeping it cool on a hot day. might try some falcon twin fans on it next