Electric Radiator Fans

Yowzer

Problem with my car is being a juiced up boosted diesel, it will run cold as all buggery 90% of the time. But once I put the boot down while dragging a decent load, it starts pumping out some mega heat.

Some stationary full load cooling tests are gonna be mandatory I think.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of electric fans....

I never really understood why some people leave their fans running for a while after they have turned off the car.

Surely if the engine isnt running, then the coolant isnt being pumped through the engine and therefore all you are doing is cooling down the radiator?

Unless there is some kind of convection effect cycling the water, or if you had an electric water pump or something. Or perhaps it has some minor effect that stops the temperature from spiking as soon as you turn off the engine.

Are these people just idiots or am I missing something

It clearly has some effect... VW/Audi have used after-run fan setups on their cars for a long time. Mk-3 Golf onward and Audi 100/200's with the 5-pot turbo engines ran both a fan and electric after-run water pump too.

you could also call it gimmicky since every other car except for those you listed does fine without the additional cooling.

Combined with an electric waterpump makes a bit of sense. But if you have no water flow, then all you are doing is cooling the radiator while the engine stays hot.

What I have noticed on a few cars though is the radiator fan is not connected to the ignition, so it's effectively ready to go on permanently, regardless of if the car is going or not.

My brothers car does this, also as there is no coolant flow, the temp sensor stays hot even though the radiator ends up dead cold.

My 480 does it. Stays on for about 5 minutes after turning off. Has massive fan as well due to small radiator opening and sounds like a jet engine. Makes the temp drop though even with the engine off and just has normal water pump so must do something

On the topic of electric fans....

I never really understood why some people leave their fans running for a while after they have turned off the car.

Surely if the engine isnt running, then the coolant isnt being pumped through the engine and therefore all you are doing is cooling down the radiator?

Unless there is some kind of convection effect cycling the water, or if you had an electric water pump or something. Or perhaps it has some minor effect that stops the temperature from spiking as soon as you turn off the engine.

Are these people just idiots or am I missing something

Heat soak.

http://cjbfire.com/Heatsoak.pdf

^this is mostly correct.

I understand heat soak... hence the reference to the spike in temperature after you turn off the engine.

But there is no flow if you have a mechanical water pump, so all you are doing really is cooling the radiator. I guess it could in theory help prevent too much pressure in the system or something, because even though he coolant isnt "flowing" it should in theory all be the same pressure, as it is a closed loop.

Even convection is likely to do fuck all as modern engines are not designed to operate by convection. Especially once the thermostat closes.

Surely a street driven car shouldn't be able to get to those sorts of temperatures anyway. If you were thrashing it then maybe, but you'd be a dumbass not to let it cool down a bit before switching it off.

As you said, I imagine there would be enough convection to prevent any localised overheating. The colder the radiator coolant, the more convection you get. And the pressure thing too.

Tempted to buy a ton of thermocouples test it out, but we've only done external convection heat transfer, not internal fluid movement at uni atm, so it might have to wait :P

So I compared a 10" random aftermarket fan to a factory MX73(?) fan.

Seems the factory unit is quieter, spins slower, sounds better and moves a shitload more air than the aftermarket jobbie.

And it was free.

Looks like I'm goin with that one.

I think jaycar does cheap fan controllers. could be wrong tho

Ah I wish. Pretty sure one of the kits there will do the job though.

just grab a temp switch. heaps of engines run them. relay and your done. most will switch bit over 90deg

Yeah that's my plan. I should hopefully have something lying around in my pile of parts.

Now another interesting question. I have noticed most cars (toyotas at least) take the temperature from the hot side, ie coolant leaving the engine, but some take the temp from the cold side.

Hot side seems more logical to me, but why do some cars switch the fan based on the cold side temp?