Beaver's WunTwennyWhy Coupe

kicker

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

question for you bike nerds.

The rear carb drips (heavily) from the overflow when idling. If you rev it it stops then comes back after 15 secs for so.

I take it the needle isnt shutting properly/early enough? I adjusted the float a little and I though it had fixed it but it was doing it again today. Should I just adjust it a bit more?

Or shoudl I be stripping the valve down and making sure there is no shit in it. All the other carbs are sweet/dont drip out the overflow.

when for a hoon on the motorway, runs well.

Have had a vibration/noise which sounds liek its coming from the back for some time (did it beore I started the recent gbox swap tc) and thought it was the driveshaft so didnt bother looking into it as I ised a different one for the swap.

However its still doing it. It comes and goes and you can hear it build up then dissipate. Cant really feel the virbation but it sounds like one. Rear wheel bearing(s) perhaps? Diff has had a oil change a few months ago.

Whats the best way to check the bearings? I know the will have to be cut/smashed off so yeh, not yet keen to do them for the sake of doing them.

ah yep good point.

Also I pulled the rear housing off that other gbox today. Once i figure out how to get it back on properly (there is a cunty shifter tab thingy) I think ill clean it up and swap it with the one on the car to try stop te leak

To check bearings jack it up with the wheels on and once it's on axle stands and safe pull it out of gear. Then get someone to spin the wheel while you lie underneath with a power bar or something touching the diff housing (if you're doing the rear) up to your ear. If you do both sides you should be able to tell if one side has a fucked bearing, as it will sound rough while the other side should sound cleaner. May not work if the diff is crap too.

hmm yeh good point. It seems to have gotten worse over time since I first noticed it, rather then just suddenly happening when I lowerd the car/changed the angles.

Will measure up and see what they are regardless.

Good work Beave,

Before you go pulling the carbs down try tapping on the offending carb body with a hammer, this is often enough to free the float needle and make it seal again. If that doesn't work though you will need to pull them apart for a clean.

Tapping it with a hammer will only help if there is some shit stuck under the needle that stops it from sealing, it is an easy first port of call.

Did you take the needle out and have a look? also check that there isn't a crack in the overflow, I have heard that being a problem sometimes and it takes ages to diagnose hahah.

The idle chuff sounds like it may be lean, wind a bit more on the idle mixture screws and see if it helps.

chuff. That's the word I was looking for, perfectly describes it. Will try the mixture and see what happens. Cheers!

had the float needle out and gave it a blow out tonight, all looked pretty good but Yeh, the float pivot axle was a bit gammy

EDIT: the factory fuel pump is 2.6psi so this should be fine (they rekon run bike carbs up to 3psi). Perhaps te needle valve isnt heafty enough to hold fuel back when the pump just keeps pushing....

They would have been gravity fed on the bike though wouldn't they? So there would be no real build up of pressure.

I would think a reg with a return could be a good idea?