keltik's 1986 Jag XJ40

keltik

So an 86 Jag isnt OS but an 86 Corrolla is? :rolleyes: Oh well...

Had a moment of madness and bought myself an XJ6. Had always liked them and while its not as oldschool as an HQ - its still got chrome, old charm, character, oil leaks, hand built tolerances and a few other features that i would say are in the spirit of OS.

I had a look at the earlier 79-86 XJ6 but didnt really want something so classic....since the chances were high some expensive part would break and i would either have to rangi it up or sell it.

The 86-92 XJ6 shape struck a good balance between the old style and the exciting new gimmicky electronic crap of the 80s. Just undesirable enough to be affordable and common enough that nobody would mind too much if i fucked it right up.

SO heres a picture;

52636510151965896715164.jpg

List of things to do in rough order of importance:

Replace boot lid since this one is full of rot

Fix a couple of minor cabin leaks

Change diff oil and grease UJ's

Slam some new wheels on it

Convert to quad round lights instead of the square jobbies

Install a sweet subtle sound system

Lower a wee bit

Some more pictures and updates to follow. All ive really done this far is have a good look over the car and strip some interior out to dry it. Also shorted the drivers seatbelt buckle sensor so the damned annoying warning buzzer would go away. So loud and obnoxious!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true the new welsg national anthem is:

ah boom boom boooooooom ah let me hear you say wales

That will now be the official anthem of this car.

R134a is the only other one i know. Ive heard you can just slam it in and it works but would have to replace the drier. Or if i can get hold of some R12 that would make life easy. Should probably do the drier anyways.

VG. Its getting 5 spokes a' la'

2234114.jpg

p31.jpg

Anything beats the different sized metric teardrops on it at the moment

yeah it was r134a that replaced r12. I think you get slightly less cooling capacity out of it (not as efficient at heat transfer but better for environment). Changing the drier would be standard practice for a refrigerant refill

Yeah photo was shit but it was raining.

3.6 AJ6 motor. Blower mebbe one day. Apparently the ECU can be remapped easy enough.

Its registered as an XJ6 Sovereign. XJ40 was the internal model code at Jaguar from what i remember.

Currently talking to a Jag dealer to get some oil for the hydro brakes and whatever else that system runs. Also getting some interior clips off them. Hoping i'll still have both arms and legs after the exchange.

Tridents will be considered....

Chur all for positive responses.